17. doubt..

Are you a girl?" He asked with a gasp and I looked at him as if I have seen a ghost.

"Shut up Maxwell, you are offending me now" I said feigning anger but inside I was scared to hell.

I saw John going to the kitchen probably for making dinner. I walked towards him giving an angry glare towards max who looked still not sure but when he saw my angry face.

"Hey I am sorry, come back. I was just kidding" he said and I looked back at him

"Don't talk to me for next half an hour" I gritted and he sat on the couch with a pout. I went towards John as he was taking out some vegetables from the refrigerator. He looked at me with a smile.

"What happened? Were you guys fighting?" He asked me.

"No we weren't fighting, he is just so annoying sometime" I shrugged. He chuckled a little.

"Can I help you?" I said and he nods.

"Can you wash these?" He asked gently giving me the vegetables and I nodded. I took them to the sink and washed them.

Then he taught me how to cut those vegetables, he was making stir fry chicken today. He was working on chicken as I cut vegetables, at first it was difficult but then as some time passed and after few lessons from him, It got easy and I was skillfully cutting the vegetables. John even praised me. Then he taught me how to cook and it was very easy. I was watching with aww as he skillfully cooked, he looked like some professional chef.

"From where did you learn to cook?" I asked him and he smile sadly.

"My mother!" He said but there was some hidden pain behind his voice.

"Where is your family?" I asked him.

"My parents are dead, I only have a brother" he told me with a small smile.

"Where is your brother now?" I asked him.

"You have met him already" he smirked and I looked confused at him as he was looking in the living room.

"Is .. Max your brother but he said he was an only child" I said as I looked at Max who was playing some game and now Tyler has also joined him.

"No, Tyler's my brother, my little brother!" He clarified and I nodded in realization. This explains the uncanny similarities between the duo and how they are mostly together.

"How old are you?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I am 26 and Tyler's 25" he said and I nodded.

"And what about Asher and Elliott?" I asked him.

"They both are 27" he told me. They are too much older than me except Max may be that's the reason we both get along well.

"Have you ... ever killed someone?" I whispered lightly even scared to ask such question but John looked a little uncomfortable.

"Vince can I not answer to that... We do some illegal things and ... I don't know how to explain but we are not bad people." He said and looked at me to see my expressions, I only smiled a little in return.

"I will set the plates because it looks like your brother is busy" I said pointing towards two boys who were playing games and cursing at each other while playing. He nods with a laugh!

"But I am doing you a favour!" I said trying to hide my smile, he seems amused and nodded.

"Fine, I will never forget your favor and what do you want in return? I am sure you want something. " he said in amusement.

"You don't have to do much... just talk to your boss to add me in your team" I said leaning towards him so only he can listen.

"You are so smart" he joked

"I will try but he don't listen to anyone, if he makes up his mind no one can change it" he said with a sigh.

"So there is no other way" I pouted, I really want to be in their team, it was fun

"There is a way actually.." He said after thinking.

"What?" I asked in excitement.

"Talk to Elliott,he is the only person Asher listened to apart from Mr X" he said.

"Oh really!" I asked. But Elliot is always so closed off with me, but I will try.

"Anyways who is Mr X?" I asked him

"You can say he is our boss's boss" he said.

"Dinner is almost ready" he said as he pointed towards the table.

"Oh yeah" I said and set the plates. Asher and Elliott both also came out from their office where my entry is still prohibited. They both sat on each head chairs, Max and Tyler also came. I sat with Max on my designated place which is on left to Asher.

We were having our dinner when I felt max looking at me but I ignored him. I am still scared what if he discover that I am a girl.

"Hey I am sorry, don't be upset with me" he said but I only glared at him to be quiet. I don't want everyone to doubt too.

"I am not upset, okay" I said in hopes that he will let it go. I picked the glass of water to drink when he spoke up.

"Look your hands are really soft just like girls, it wasn't my fault that I mistook It and you also are so small..." He was saying when I choked on my water and coughed badly , I looked at everyone who were looking at me and Max.

"Shut up Maxwell!" I stand up in irritation and anger.

"I am a Boy, get that in your thick skull" I scolded and then I ran upstairs ignoring everyone's eyes on me.

Oh my God! What was that? I was pacing around the room in worry. When I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Asher" he said and I try to compose myself. I opened the door halfway, he was looking at me as if trying to read my face. I stood infront of him with a serious face as if I am not panicking.

"What?" It came out rudely.

"We will not be at home yesterday, we have to go somewhere so don't go anywhere or open the doors. If anything happens call me or anyone of us" he said, more like ordered and then he was off. I closed the door as he went away, I leaned on the door and sighed in relief. They don't know, they don't know! But then I realized what he said, so tomorrow I will be alone. Yay! I thought and went to sleep.