But It's So Cold

[Y/n's POV]

It was late afternoon the next day when it happened. I was stood outside watering the lilac when I heard someone clear their throat over the short wall into next door's garden.

I looked up smiling, hoping to finally meet my new neighbour, when my life came crashing down before me.

We locked eyes in an intense stare, before my gaze moved down and over her body, as if I were checking she were real.

Purple shoes, skirt, blouse and thick cardigan, deep red hair pulled back into a ponytail with a purple scrunchie in the top and her wonky glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose. The only visible difference about her now, was the wooden cane she gripped in her right hand.

My eyes wandered to her hands, where a solid golden wedding ring sat on her ring finger, where my engagement ring had once sat. My specific engagement ring however, had not been removed entirely. No. Now my engagement ring sat on her promise finger on her right hand.

Our eyes met once again in a long stare, before I heard Cordelia's car pull up in our driveway. I looked at her once more, turned and ran back inside.

[Wilhemina's POV]

Instead of sitting in the room, today i decided to take a walk in my back garden. After a few seconds of being alone in my thoughts, I heard something from next door.

I looked over the short wall to see her, watering the massive lilac bush she'd bought yesterday. I stared at her for a few seconds before i cleared my throat, hoping to get her attention and she looked up at me, smiling, and it brought back a tiny bit of hope that she still missed me, until she saw my face, and then her face drained of any happy emotion that could've been seen before.

Her eyes met mine for a few slow seconds, before her eyes moved along my body, as if she was looking for something, as if I wasn't real.

Her gaze travelled across my body, looking me up and down continuously.

I took the chance to take her in completely. Her worn down black trainers, dirty leggings and a cropped tank top, her long (y/h/c) hair tied back into a messy bun at the top of her head.

I saw her eyes stop at the cane in my hand and i shifted uncomfortably.

My eyes went to the bracelet on her arm and then to the rings on her hands. On her ring finger, there was a silver ring, covered in diamonds.

The ring I thought she had got rid of, was now on the ring finger of her right hand.

We locked eyes once again in a lingering stare, before she heard a car pull up in her driveway. She looked at me once more before rushing back into her house.

I sighed and walked back into my own, hearing a car now pull into my driveway.