Chapter 3

Now

Travis pulls the cruiser towards the back of the station and parks. Then, through the corner of my eye, I see him shut the car off before he turns to face me through the partition.

“Rebecca, you need to listen to me, and I mean it.”

I refuse to look at him, causing him to groan, and I hear him open his door. His hopeful, bright blue eyes look at me as I glare back at him. He walks around to my side, pulling the door open and kneeling so he’s eye level with me. His normally clean-shaven face had a five o’clock shadow, bags under his eyes giving the idea he’s barely sleeping. The regular upkeep Travis I once knew was not the man kneeling in front of me. His normal gel-slicked back brown hair fell around his face.

“Rebecca, I’m serious here. Mitchell’s in a lot of trouble. You can’t get out of this alone. So don’t say shit; ask for a lawyer.”

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head, “What part of fuck you, Travis, did you not understand? I’m not your girlfriend anymore, so don’t do me any favors.”

He sighs, shaking his head as he stands back up and motions for me to get out of the car. I step out, and he puts his hand on my arm, causing me to pull away from him. He grabs my arm again and leans closer to me, “You may not want my help, but you need to fucking relax, or you’ll end up in more shit than either of us want.”

I couldn’t hold back my laugh as I took a step back from him, “Aw, what? Don’t want your cop buddies to know you fuck with trash whores?” He raises an eyebrow as he tilts his head, “The fuck are you talking about?”

Shaking my head, I push past him towards the back door as he sighs and comes up behind me, grabbing my arm again, walking me inside the station. We head down a hallway towards a woman standing by a fingerprinter. Mitchell stands by the woman, refusing to cooperate. “You’re not taking my fucking fingerprints bitch!”

The lady rolls her eyes, unbothered by his name calling, before she yanks on the cuffs pulling his hands up and pressing them down; laughing to myself, Travis walks me into a room. Shutting the door behind us, he walks me over to the table and chairs in the middle of the room. He uncuffs my wrists; once both are off, I bring my hands in front of me and rub them slowly.

“Take a seat, Rebecca.” Rolling my eyes, I sit in the seat and begin looking at my nails; at least I didn’t break any. Then, a door opens, and I look up to see another cop walk in with a notebook and a file.

“I got this, Travis. You can go.” I watch as Travis doesn’t look away from me. “She asked for a lawyer in the car bay.” Raising my eyebrow at him, I look at the other cop, who sighs, nods, and walks back towards the door. “I’m guessing a public defender?”

“No, she said the name Chole Madders.” I looked back at Travis, confused, but he kept staring at me with a straight face.

“Lovely. I’ll call and let Ms. Madders know we have one of her clients. Put her in a cell until she gets here.” Without another word, he walks out, shutting the door behind him.

“What the fuck was that, Travis?” He walks toward me and waves his hand for me to get up. I get up, and he takes my arm in his hand. We walk out of the room towards the cells. “Don’t say shit and let Chole deal with it, alright?” He whispers as we stand in front of a cell.

I yank my arm out of his grip as he waves over at another cop who opens the cell. “I don’t need your help, Travis.”

He gently pushes me into the cell, shaking his head, “If you won’t help yourself, someone has to.”

“Fuck you, Travis!” He frowns as he pulls the cell door shut and turns, walking away from me. I walk over to the bench and sit down, looking around the station.

A few rows down, Mitchell sits in a cell, glaring straight at me. I flip him off as I scowl, and he shakes his head, “I should never have brought you in. Cop lover!”

“Oh fuck off, Mitchell.” A fat cop was walking by and kicked the cell door between our cells. “Quite both of you!”

Rolling my eyes, I lay down against the bench, putting my arm over my eyes.

-Two hours later-

“Rebecca, lawyers here.” I hear Travis call. I move my arm from my eyes to look over and see him standing on the other side of my cell. He motions for it to be opened as I stand up, walking over to the door. “I need to put the cuffs back on.” Rolling my eyes, I hold my hands out, and he replaces the cuffs again. Then, motioning to walk, I exit the cell only to hear Mitchell yell behind me.

“Fucking cop lover! Wait til everyone hears about how we had a cop lover on the inside.”

My veins run cold as I stop dead in my tracks; I look over at Mitchell glaring at me. He takes his hand, running it under his neck as he starts laughing, shaking his head. “Wait til Niko finds out.” My mouth goes dry as Travis pulls on my arm, making me walk again.

“You signed my death certificate....just like you signed his.”

Travis sighs as he walks me towards the room we were in earlier, “If you’d fucking talk to me, I could explain it, Rebecca.”

I glare at him as he opens the door, and we walk in. A slender blonde woman sits at the desk and stands as soon as the door opens. “I demand a private meeting with my client.”

Travis walks me over to the table, sits me down before uncuffing my hands again, and nods to the woman I’m guessing is Chole. He walks over to a box on the wall and turns it off. “You have fifteen minutes alone. That’s all I could get, Chole.”

She frowns at him, nodding before she looks at me, “We’ll discuss payment later, Travis.” He chuckles, nodding before he walks out of the room.

I look at her, confused, and she smiles before sitting back, “Please sit. Let’s get started.”