Chapter 11

Now

I pushed the diner's door open and walked in, instantly being hit by the smell of coffee. A waitress poked her head up from a magazine she had opened on the counter and smiled at me, "Feel free to sit anywhere I'll bring you a menu." Nodding I looked around to see if he was here, when I didn't see him anywhere, I walked over to a booth in the corner and sat down facing the door. The black upholstery instantly sticking to my skin. The waitress quickly walked over placing a coffee mug down on the table in front of me and handed me a menu. "Coffee?" Nodding I looked at the door waiting for him to walk through.

She filled my mug and pulling creamers out of her apron she placed them on the table, "Just let me know when you're ready to order."

"Thank you." Smiling she walked away, adding a few creamers to my coffee I reached for the sugar just as the door opened.

The hairs on my arms stood as he spotted me at the table, sighing I added the sugars as he made his way over to the table and smiled small down at me, "Hey Becca."

Nodding towards the seat I lifted the coffee to my lips, thankful for the help it would for my wine hangover from last night. He quickly sat down across from me. "I didn't think you'd actually reach out." Rolling my eyes, I went to speak but the waitress walked over placing a cup down in from of him, filling it the same she did for me and handed him a menu.

"I'll give you a few more minutes to decide." She said with a smile and walked away, keeping my mug in between my hands I looked across to him, "This isn't about your case."

He raised his eyebrow as he added just sugar to his coffee, keeping it black just like he used to. "Then why text me?" He asked after taking a sip of his coffee, I watch him place it back on the table and put his arm on the top of his seat as he leaned back looking at me. Studying him I notice he hasn't shaven still and the bags under his eyes look even darker than they did last night when I was picked up.

Shrugging I lean back in my own seat after putting my coffee down on the table, "Maybe I wanted to reminisce about the past."

"Bullshit." Raising an eyebrow at him he smirks and shakes his head when I don't say anything, "You wouldn't have texted me to meet you at six am in a random ass diner in the next town over. Cut the shit Becca. Why am I actually here?"

Sighing I shrug again, shaking his head he moves his arm down and moves closer to the table putting his elbows on the table around his coffee mug. "I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on."

Laughing I shake my head as I cross my arms over my chest, "Why do you always think I want your help, Travis? I'm not the pathetic little girl I was when we first met."

He laughs this time as he sits back shaking his head and holds his hands out towards me, "You were never a pathetic little girl. Even when we first met. Fuck you all but told me to fuck off when I asked you about that book you were reading in Melanie's store."

Chuckling I roll my eyes as I pick my coffee up just as the waitress comes back over to take our order, "What can I get you both?"

"I'm good with just coffee thanks." I say and Travis raises an eyebrow at me as he watches me before ordering, "I'll do the chocolate chip pancakes with scrambled eggs. Can I have cheese with the eggs please and hashbrowns not crispy please."

I smirk as she takes his order and walks away, "What's the smirk for?"

Shaking my head, I take another sip of coffee before placing it down in between my hands, "Somethings never change."

Smiling at me he nods, "And some things change for the better." Pointing my finger at him, "So the beard thing is part of the better?"

He lets out a breath before laughing and runs his hand over the stubble on his face, "It's been easier to just let it grow in than trying to make time to shave it every day."

I laugh as I look at him, "Picking up lowsiders must keep you busy."

He frowns as he looks down at his hands, "That's not what I've been doing. It's not lowsiders we want." Nodding I hold my hands out for him to keep talking.

Sighing he leans back in his seat as he looks back at me, "I can't share most of it, but a lot of the people who have been picked have been associated with drug trafficking throughout the city." Raising an eyebrow, I nod before looking down at my coffee, "How long have you been a cop?"

"Detective." I look back up at him confused and he sighs, "About three years now. I was a cop for about six years before I got promoted." Nodding at him I sit back in my seat leaving my hands on the table in front of me.

"So, you were a cop when it happened." Frowning at me he nods as he looks at me, "Yeah Becca I was."

Shaking my head my hands start to shake as I think back to the night everything went wrong. Travis reaches forward putting his hand on mine. I quickly pull it away and cross my arms, "Becca can you please let me explain what happened?"

I shake my head, "I know what happened. I was there remember?" He sighs again as he sits back in his seat and nods, "I remember that night completely Becca. But there's shit you don't know."

I uncross my arms as the waitress comes over with his food and places it down before walking away. She quickly comes back and refills my coffee and the creamers. "Let me know if I can get you anything else." Nodding she walks away as I fix up my coffee again, "I didn't ask you here to talk about that Travis."

Nodding he starts digging into his food, looking back up at me as he swallows, "So why am I here then?"

"I just needed to get away from all that bullshit for a little while." He raises an eyebrow as he takes another bite of his food, "And I'm here because?"

Rolling my eyes, I reach forward grabbing his fork out of his hand and stab it into the hashbrowns before putting it to my mouth and eating it. He watches me with a smirk on his face. "You're right."

I finish chewing as he chuckles, "Somethings never change."