Chapter 16

Ten years ago

I pull the sliding door open and step out into the warm night shutting it behind me, Fiona sits by the fire with a blanket wrapped around her. Jada sits on the ground in between Marissa's legs as she braids her hair. Chuckling I walk over to Fiona's side and sit down, pointing at the blanket, "Cold?"

She looks at me and nods as she snuggles into the blanket, "The water was freezing. I'm still cold." Shaking my head, I laugh as Travis pushes the door open with his elbow carrying out wine glasses, he struggles with the door for a few seconds before looking at us and sighs.

"A little help here ladies?" Laughing I get up and walk over to him. Taking four of the glasses, I grin at him before turning around and head back to the girls, "Not what I meant but it works."

I turn and look at him over my shoulder smirking, "I could have just let you stand there struggling." He puts his hands up in defeat as he turns to shut the door, "Hey I said thank you."

After passing the glasses to everyone I walk back over to the chair and sit down bringing my legs up to my chest as I rest my arms over my knees. "Travis, you have everything you need?" Jada asks causing me to look at her confused before looking at Travis. He makes his way over toward us stopping on the other side of the fire nodding as he sips his wine, "Yeah, all set. Give it another like 15 minutes."

Looking between them both I finally raise my hand like I was back in school, "Ah, I'm sorry what are we talking about?"

Travis chuckles shaking his head as he looks over at me, "You'll see." Rolling my eyes, I look over at Fiona whose head is turned facing the other way, "Fi?"

She whines as she shakes her head still not looking at me, "Fi"

She covers the side of her face as she shakes her head again, "Not here."

Rolling my eyes, I lean forward grabbing her blanket and yanking a bit, she whines again as she pulls the blanket back towards her, "Don't ask me shit! I never get to surprise you!"

Sighing I lean back in my seat getting comfortable again, "That's because I hate surprises, you know that."

"It's a good surprise" Travis says as he looks over the fire at me, the light of the fire bouncing of his skin. Smirking, "Those are always the ones that cause trouble." He raises an eyebrow at me as he smirks back. I mentally smack myself for my comment, confused as hell where that came from.

I look down at the fire avoiding his gaze and sip my wine, "So I'm thinking six am hike?" I hear Jada groan and Fiona chuckle, "Your nuts if you think my ass is getting out of bed anytime before ten am. Especially with how much we did today alone and how much we ate."

I turn my head and look at the girls as Marissa leans down next to Jada's head, her hands still braiding, "You'll come with me, right?" Jada sighs as she raises her hand putting it on Marissa's cheek tenderly, "Can it be like eight am instead? Pick eight and I'll be up those hills by your side." Marissa grins nodding but laughs and sits back up as she continues to braid, "We're just hiking around the lake silly. No hills. But eight works."

Jada's honey brown eyes go wide as she puts her hands on top of Marissa's stopping her from moving, "The entire lake?"

Marissa smiles before leaning down and kissing Jada's head, "Thanks for agreeing babe." Jada sighs letting go of her hands, "When I call for a boat ride back you better be ready Travis."

Travis laughs putting his hands up shaking his head, "You better hope I'm not on store run, when you call." Laughing I sip my wine as the girls look at me, Marissa raising her eyebrow. I quickly shake my head, "Nope. Count me out. I don't hike. I can barely walk on the sidewalk without busting my ass. Fuck hiking." Smacking my thighs I laugh, "These thick things were not meant for that much walking."