Chapter 5

Now

“Can your client elaborate on why she was in the alley when she was picked up tonight?” Detective Stevenson asked as he turned on the camera. Looking over at Chloe, she looks at me and nods, smiling.

I look back at the detective, “I was asleep when everything was happening. I freaked out and ran; what else am I supposed to do when cops start busting into the place I crashed in last night? Wrong place at the wrong time.” I hold up my hands. He rolls his eyes as he chuckles and sits back in his seat on the other side of the table.

“Wrong place, wrong time, is it? Why were you heard fighting with--uh” He stopped and looked down at the paper in front of him before looking back up at me, “A Mitchell Lawson?”

I cross my arms over my chest as I smirk at the cop sitting back in my chair, “He said some nasty things about wanting his” I move my hand over my lap, “area, and I was not going to be associated with such a gross looking person.”

“And the threat he made when the officer brought you from your holding cell?” I look over at Chloe, who puts her hand on mine as she keeps her attention on the detective. “We all know the reputation of being called a cop lover in the lower side of town, David. She doesn’t need to know the suspect in the cell for her to be afraid of being labeled a cop lover.” I look back at the cop, who sighs and runs his hand over his face before putting his hands on the table, “We protect you against the fifth ave if you need us to. We just need you to cooperate with us here, Rebecca.”

I laugh as I lean toward him, “You cops can’t protect shit. I don’t know anything. I didn’t do anything. So why am I being held?” Leaning back, I watch the detective sit straight up again and clear his throat, “She’s free to go for now.” I nod and stand up from my seat as Chloe closes her notepad and stands. We walk over to the door just as Travis opens it and walks in. He looks from me to Chloe, “All set?” I look at Chloe, who smiles, nodding, “I’ll be taking my client home now. Goodnight, boys.” We walk past Travis, and he follows us out of the room.

Chloe walks with me to get my stuff; I sign for my things before turning around to look at her. “I don’t know how to thank you.” She smiles as she buttons her coat, “No thanks needed. I needed the experience anyways.” As Travis walks up next to us, I raise my eyebrow, “Thanks for coming down, Chloe.” I look between them, and she puts her hand on Travis’s arm, smiling up at him, “Thanks for letting me. Call mom; she’s been worried.” He sighs as he rubs the back of his neck, “Get home safe, Chloe.” She looks back at me as she lets go of Travis’s arm, “If you need me, this is my cell” she pulls a card out of her coat pocket and hands it to me. I look down at it to see it’s a business card; nodding, I slip it into my back pocket, “Thanks.”

“Avery?” I hear someone call behind me; I turn around and take the bag of my stuff before turning to see Travis standing behind me alone, watching me. Rolling my eyes, I walk past him, “Leave me alone, Travis.”

I hear his shoes against the station’s tile flooring as he follows behind me. I walk through the station doors and down the front steps, “Will you just talk to me?” He calls from behind me as I keep walking. “Rebecca, I did all I fucking could!” He yells, causing me to stop walking. I can feel my blood boil as I turn around; he stands a few feet away from me. Stomping over to him, I point my finger at him, “Don’t you fucking dare!” He puts his hands up in the air, “I’m telling you the truth, Rebecca. I did all I could that night!” I flatten my hand and shove him in the chest, “Shut up!” I scream as he steps back; I step towards him again, slamming my hand into his chest. “I’m sorry, Rebecca!”

I shove him into the wall along the station steps, “Oh fuck you, Travis! You’re sorry?” I raise my hand and smack him across the face, “It’s your fault he’s gone!” I step back from him as tears fall down my cheeks, “It’s your fault!” Shaking my head, I turn around, heading the other way.

Reaching into the bag, I pull out my phone and turn it on; I look down as I keep walking. It vibrates a few times, alerting me of texts. Opening up my messages, I see ten from Fiona; opening the messages, I quickly read her latest message and reply:

F: Where the fuck are you?

M: Got picked, just leaving now. Where are you?

I look up from my phone to see an old black impala parked across the street. My phone vibrates in my hand, causing me to look back down at the new message. Seeing nothing from Fiona, I go back into my messages,

N: Let’s go.

I look back at the Impala to see Nico stepping out of the driver’s seat, watching me. I bite my bottom lip before shoving my phone into my pocket. Then, looking to ensure no cars were coming, I ran across the street towards him. Shoving my hands into my jacket pockets, I smile at him, “Hey, babe.” He reaches out and takes hold of my jacket, pulling me into him against the car. He wraps his arm around my lower back, holding me in place as he looks down at me, “What was that about?”

I feel chills on my arms under my jacket as I put my head against his chest, hiding my face, “Nothing, don’t worry about it.” He takes my chin in his free hand and turns my head, so I look up at him, “Don’t lie to me, Rebecca. What the fuck was that with that cop?”

Sighing, I shake my head against his hold on my chin, “He’s someone from my past Niko. I swear I didn’t know he was a cop until tonight!” I plead as he studies my face to see if I’m lying; when he doesn’t find one, he sighs. He lets go of my chin and kisses my forehead, “Let’s get out of here.” I nod as he lets me go, so I go to the passenger side. He gets back into the driver’s side; as I open my door, I look back towards the police station to see Travis standing on the steps watching us. He shakes his head and turns to walk back up the stairs, I roll my eyes before getting in and shut my door just as Niko starts the car, and we drive away from the station.