Chapter 10

Ten years ago

"I would like to ask for our valedictorian to please come to the stage. Ms. Rebecca Avery!" I smile as I stand from my seat as clapping begins. Walking up to the stage I see my brother standing and yelling my name. Chuckling I walk over to the podium, fixing the mic like I was shown during graduation practice. I clear my throat before looking down at my speech, closing my eyes I take a deep breath and look back up as I open my eyes again.

"Welcome everyone to the class of 2013 graduation. I look out and see so many of my classmates ready to take on the next chapter in our lives. When I was asked to give this speech, I honestly thought they were joking. Me give a speech? They were joking right?" Laughter rings out and I smile as I continue to read on, "My classmates know I am the last person to ever want to stand up here and give this grand speech about moving on with our lives. But here I am. As I think back of the last four years, I think of all the memories that have been made. I think about all the laughs, all the tears. But when I think about the future, I can't help but come up blank. Unlike many of my classmates I have no idea what I want from the future, but that's okay. Just because we're graduating doesn't mean we have to have it all figured out right now." Many of my classmates cheer me on and I smile as Fiona screams my name, "We don't even have to have it figured out when we're 65. As long as we are enjoying the ride that's all that matters. So, I finish this by saying to my classmates, take your time and enjoy the ride. You never know what life is going to throw at you! Congrats to my fellow classmates! We did it BITCHES!" I finish as clapping and cheering starts, smiling I wave once more before grabbing my speech and head back to my seat as the principal goes back to the mic and begins calling students names.

-Later that day-

"I'm so proud of you Becca." Shane says as he wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his side and kisses the top of my head. Chuckling I push away from him, "Proud enough to let me borrow the truck so I can go to the lake party tonight?"

He laughs shaking his head, "Not that proud. But I will drop you and Fiona off and grab you when you're ready." Rolling my eyes Fiona walks towards us from her trailer with a pile of clothes in her arms. Laughing I walk over grabbing some to help lighten the load, "What the hell is all that for? Fiona's not moving in right? I didn't agree to that right?" He asks as he looks between the both of us, laughing I shake my head.

"It's for the lake party dummy." I say and he scratches the top of his head, "You're bringing all that to the lake?"

Fiona laughs and shakes her head, "No it's my choices for the party. I know completely understand where you get your fashion sense from Becca."

Chuckling I bump my hip into hers, "Careful. I might just trip and land all this crap in a muddy puddle."

She gaps but laughs, "You wouldn't dare!"

I raise an eyebrow at her as we walk past Shane and through the front door as he holds it open for us, "Never mind. You totally would."

Laughing we head back towards my bedroom; she shuts the door with her foot and we both drop the clothes onto my bed. I walk over and grab my pipe from my ash tray as she starts holding the clothes up to her body looking in the mirror, I pulled in from the bathroom last night. Pulling the lighter out from my nightstand, bringing it to the pipe I light the weed in the pipes bowl and take a long puff before holding it out to Fiona, she puts one of the dresses down and takes it from me with the lighter.

I exhale and lean against my headboard, "How the hell did you get us invited to the lake party?" She takes a puff before passing it back to me and I take another puff. "You know Jordan?" Raising an eyebrow at her, "The one on the football team?"