Chapter 13

Now

Walking out of the diner I wrapped my arms around myself trying to keep warm while I looked around for Fiona's car. Not seeing it anywhere I pull my phone out of my pocket and start texting her.

M: Where are you?

F: Patrick called, I had to leave, or he'd think something was up. I'm sorry ☹ ☹

Groaning I stuff my phone into my back pocket annoyed. "Fuck man!" I look around again but this time for a bus stop sign. Coming up short I'm almost thankful when Travis comes up next to me. "Waiting for your ride?"

Looking at him I roll my eyes, "My ride got busy." He chuckles as he starts walking towards a car, he looks over his shoulder smiling. "Well come on then. I'll give you a ride back into town." Sighing I look around once more before following behind him. He stops next to a black pickup, he stops by the passenger side, unlocking it he opens the door for me causing me to roll my eyes at him. "You know I hated when you did that shit."

He smirks as I lift into my seat, "That's why I did it." Smirking back at him I pull my seatbelt on while he shuts the door and walks over to the driver's side and gets in. Starting the truck, he looks over at me, "Where to?"

I go to say my address but realize quickly how big of a mistake that would be, "Just bring me back to the city. I can call for a ride from there." He frowns as he looks ahead and starts driving, "Do you have to get back so soon?" I look over at him confused, "Why? Thinking of taking me in for more questions?" He laughs as he shakes his head and runs his left hand over his stubble.

"More like we could hang out and catch up more." Looking at him I raise my eyebrow and tilt my head, "Who says I want to catch up more?"

He smirks as he looks over at me quickly, "Well do you want to go home yet?" I look ahead at the stoplight and sigh, "I probably should."

"But?" I chuckle as I think about it, flashes of Nico walking into his office with a random girl go through my head and I smile at him. "Fuck it. Let's catch up."

He smirks and takes a left when the stoplight turns green, looking at his radio I pull my phone from my pocket and turn the Bluetooth on as he drives. "Who said you could sync up to my radio?"

"Me." He laughs as I connect my playlist, scrolling through I smirk as I look over at him to see him looking at me as he drives, "Oh god I'm afraid of that look." Laughing I press play and the beginning of Radioactive by Imagine Dragons starts playing over the speakers. He laughs and turns the volume up as we both start singing along to the song. I play a few more songs from when we graduated and by the fifth song he pulls up to the lake. "Throwback Thursday much?"

I laugh as I pause my music and look out the window at the lake, "Talk about throwbacks." I open my door heading for the water, I kick off my sneakers as I hit the sand, I walk towards the water and let the cold hit my feet. I smile as I look back to see Travis leaning against the hood of his truck smiling at me. Smiling back at him I look back to the water, the suns rays hitting almost in the middle of the lake. A breeze flows through the trees in the leaves surrounding the lake and I smile as I watch a few hit the lake. "You loved this place right before fall hit." I hear from behind me and turning my head I see Travis standing at the edge of the water a few feet from me. He's looking out at the water behind me smiling like he's thinking about one of our memories here.

My phone starts to vibrate in my pocket causing me to groan, pulling it out I look at the screen to see Nico's name lighting up. "Fuck" I turn away from Travis and press answer, knowing if I ignored it, this conversation would only be worse.

The call connected, "Where the fuck are you?" Sighing I walk slowly through the water, "Out." He chuckles one of his annoyed laughs before letting out a breath, "I'm not in the mood for your sarcastic ass. Get home now." Rolling my eyes I look back at Travis to see him watching me. "I'll be back later. Have that whore keep you company." The second it came out of my mouth I knew I'd regret it. He laughed on the other end and hung up. Looking at my phone screen I sighed and put it against my forehead, "Fuck."

"Everything okay?" I hear Travis ask causing me to look at him and shrug, "Same old bullshit. But I should probably get back soon."

He frowns as he steps into the water toward me, "Or you could not go back." Laughing I shake my head looking at him, "Oh yeah? And where the hell am I supposed to go?" He frowns more as he stands in front of me making me look up at him, "You could come with me." Rolling my eyes, I laugh again as I back up shaking my head, "Yeah that would go over great. Fifth ave leader Nico's girlfriend shaking up with a detective, the one who just so happens to be looking into them. Yeah, that would work out fine." I walk back towards my shoes and sit down on the ground; quickly pulling them on. I stand up as Travis makes his way over to me and puts his hand on my arm softly. I look up at him and sigh, "Travis I need to go back alright? Can you take me back or do I need to call for a cab?"

He sighs as he runs his finger in circles on my arm looking down at me, "Is it selfish that I want to keep you?" I feel my heart quicken at his words and I step back from him, "Yes Travis it is." He sighs again nodding, "Alright I'll bring you back. But you need to promise me. If shit goes south, you will call me." I chuckle softly but he looks at me with seriousness in his eyes causing me to frown and nod, "I promise if shit goes any further south, I'll call you."

"No not any further. South at all Becca. Call me and I will come get you." I look into his eyes again and nod knowing that if he had it his way, I'd be calling the second I walk into Nico's house. We walk towards his truck, and I open the door before he has a chance, I grab onto the bar to pull myself up, but he quickly turns me around and his lips are on mine before I can react.

The familiar feeling makes flashes of our past run through my mind, the normal anxious feeling; otherwise known as butterflies isn't there. This feels like home.