Chapter 14: Unforseen Tragedy

After finally being released from the hospital, Akano decided he wanted to head back to his dorm in U.A. He was thinking about the mission that Nejire and the rest of his friends went off to. He wanted to join them, but since he was still recovering, he would be nothing more than a liability. Regardless, he knows they can handle whatever threat comes their way. Akano decided to make his way to the dorm so he can rest. However, when he was passing by a familiar building, he took a detour and headed toward his aunt's house. It's been a while since he last saw her and he wanted to check up on her to see how she's been doing.

As he made it up to Izuku's house, he knocked on the door. Hearing Auntie Inko's voice calling out that she was coming to the door. When she opened the door and looked up at Akano she had a big smile on her face.
"Akano! It's been a while!"
"Hey, Auntie! I was on my way home and I thought I'd swing by to see ya."
"Well, you're always more than welcome to come by. Come on in! I was just making some lunch today and since my son isn't here, I'd appreciate the company."
Akano was surprised to hear that Izzy wasn't home, but then he remembered about the dorms they were all made to live in. Akano walked in with a smile to be back here again.

"How have you been, Akano? Did you get in a fight or something?! You look like you just came out of the hospital!"
"Oh yeah, I was out on a mission outside of Musutafu. I was actually discharged from the hospital not too long ago."
With a chuckle, Akano remembered he had bandages on his face and on his arm and hands as well. Of course... the obvious cast on his right arm might have given it away.
"Geez... you're mother would freak out if she saw you like this. How has your mother been by the way?"
Akano smiled.
"She's been good. She's still taking care of my grandma in the US and they have been doing well. I haven't called her in a while but I'll call her later for sure."
Inko smiled as she knew Akano had to take care of himself when his mom left. Regardless of him being in good hands, not having his mother around must have been tough for him.

"So how's it been working in Endeavor's agency? Must be great to be working with Japan's number 1 hero."
"It's been great! I've learned so much and improved so much in my training that I feel like I can be the next number 1 hero soon."
Inko chuckled as she patted Akano's arm before looking up at him.
"You've been working really hard. Izuku seems to have picked up the same drive as you. Wanting to be the best hero in all of Japan as well. It's a scary thought to see all the things he had gone through, but..."
There was a pause as Inko's expression was a bit saddened.
"... as his mother, I don't want him to get hurt. Somehow he showed me he was more dedicated than ever in bring good in this world. It was better to accept his choice because at the end of the day. I just want Izuku to be happy."
Something was a bit off but seeing how her tone reflected her statement, Akano put his left hand on Inko's shoulder.

"Auntie. I know it's tough. I know my mom wasn't too fond of the idea of me wanting to be a hero as well. However, the fact she supported me through it all was one of the very reasons I've made it this far and will continue reaching for the top. The choice you made for Izzy will push him forward to the very end. I know it will be tough now, but don't worry! I'll be there for him!"
His reassuring smile helped ease Inko a bit as she saw the glow in his smile which showed her that he was aiming for the protection of this world. That was when Inko remembered about the food and went to serve it for both of them to eat.

Sometimes, moments like these don't come by so often and some forget how important it really is. Interactions with family and friends after any big event or mission showed Akano that there are a lot of reasons why he must keep fighting and keep pushing to the very end. No matter what, he knows in his heart that he is doing this to protect others as much as possible, and put an end to the crisis and criminal activities that plague this world. However, there are people who need them to come back home in one piece.