Chapter 15: Awareness, Acceptance, And Action

It was the next day after what could be described as a truly dark day, all the pro heroes and UA Students were recovered and well rested, except for a select few who still needed extra time to recover. The news that covered the infiltration mission was talking about one of the high profile members of the hideout, Kai Chisaki, was attacked on the freeway and was left without arms. The police truck that held him was completely damaged and the Sand hero: Snatch was killed. The suspects of the crime was the League of Villains. A name that seem to spread fear to the hearts of many. As well as the students of U.A who encountered them, which till this day, had Akano surprised on how they managed to survive those encounters. This hideout raid had some casualties and left several injured and one death. That death being Sir Nighteye, Mirio's Sensei and All Might's former sidekick. Akano was in Mirio's hospital room as now they had their time to rest and recover, but Akano was curious about one thing.

"How did Mirio get hurt so badly?"

"Hey Akano! Welcome back."
As the bright smile was illuminating the entire room.
"Mirio. I'm sorry for-"
"Nah dont worry about it, Akano! I'm going to do my best to keep Sir's trust and faith in me into being the best hero in all of Japan!"
Akano was a bit stunned seeing how positive Mirio is despite the lose of his Sensei.
"I don't know how you're doing it, but I'm glad you've been doing the best you can to maintain that unchanged ray of light that is in your heart."
"Awww shucks. You shouldn't be flirting with me like that. You're dating Nejire remember?"
Akano let out a chuckle and bopped Mirio on the top of his head with his cast.
"You're an idiot and I love you for that. Speaking of dating, how's it going with Stella?"
"Oh yeah. It's been alright. She is usually busy so I didn't want to bother her or have her worried about me."
Akano let out a sigh.
"Well I know she'd want to make sure you are doing alright. Isn't she friends with Bubble girl?"
"Oh yeah! That's true. They went to the same school together. Which means... she is bound to find out what happened."
"Well don't worry brother. One way or another somehow women will discover all things that we can't hide. It's like they have a wireless mental connection to everything haha!"
"No kidding! I bet Nejire has all the connections to make sure you're behaving."
The two shared a hardy laugh together in their own goofiness.

Suddenly, Akano's curiosity got the best of him.
"Hey Mirio. I wanted to ask you something. How'd you manage to get so mangled up like that? Your quirk is permeation and to see you this badly damage is almost frightening."
That's when Mirio's smile slowly faded. That small change in detail already gave a sick feeling in Akano's stomach.
"Mirio. What happened?"
Mirio perked up and said the one thing Akano was not prepared for.
"I'm like this now because I did the best I can to protect Eri from being hurt. During a moment of saving her, Overhaul had created this specialized bullet using that girl's quirk."
"The girl's quirk? Geez that sounds awful."
"It is. She was tortured so badly all this time."
"Wait is this the girl you mentioned when you were with Izuku on that mission?"
"Yeah that's her. That day Midoriya and I encountered her, she was all bandaged up. It was like she just got operated on and was left traumatized.
"Holy cow. Wait what kind of bullets were made with the girl's quirk?"
"Ones... that... erase quirks."

Akano's face became pale. Putting the hints together, his eyes widen in horror as his heart shattered and sank. The words that came out of Mirio's mouth felt like a fairy tale and impossible to believe.
"Mirio. T-there's no way."
"Unfortunately it is true."