The Sorting (Edited)

Sorry if it's a bit short

-

The boats glided over the lake smoothly, many people were trying to see what was in the water, others were gaping up at the castle, I just trailed my fingers in the cold water admiring it. I'd never seen anything like it. 

We had to duck under a curtain of ivory and then hopped out on a pebble shore. Hagrid led us up some steps to a large set of doors and pounded on them with his huge fist. The door swung open immediately, and the woman looked as strict as the librarian along the road. She wore glasses and had brown hair in a bun. I would not want to cross her.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She led us through a huge entrance hall, past two doors behind which was a lot of noise and into an empty classroom where she proceeded to enlighten us on the rules.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin."

I heard a slight puff of air from behind me and turned to see Malfoy. He was looking at his two bodyguards with a knowing smirk; i guessed it had something to do with the houses. I knew which one i would be in, whether i got to choose or not. Daniel would kill me if i ended up in anything but Slytherin, i could only hope Ron and Harry would understand.

"Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you, please wait quietly."

I watched her leave and heard a loud gulp from Harry, Ron and I turned to look at him and then I rubbed my head.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" I asked.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking."

"Er, I'll pass," I said, making him chuckle. And then several people screamed.

Behind us, ghosts were coming out of the walls and floors, in conversation so they did not see us at first, then when they did they spoke to us, welcoming us to Hogwarts. They seemed to be divided between the houses.

McGonagall returned and had us line up single file, Harry said it felt like going to detention or something. I wouldn't know having never been to school but i nodded and laughed at his words anyway to make myself seem normal. 

The big hall had four long tables in vertical lines where the students sat and then at the top of the hall was a horizontal table where the teachers cat. In front of the teacher's table, McGonagall placed a stool and old ripped hat, which then sang. I tried not to laugh. When it was finished, everyone clapped. McGonagall then stepped forward holding a long roll of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"

Ron said something i didn't catch as some blonde girl rushed up, pink in the face and after a moment -