Christmas Part 1 (edited)

One morning mid-December, Hermione had to wake up to me jumping on her bed – the Fat Lady really liked me so i was allowed in the Common Room if i knew the password. 

The grounds were covered in snow, I'd only ever seen it through my window at home. I tried for about half an hour to convince Hermione to let me and the boys go out and play. Unfortunately, we still had to go to classes.

While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the drafty corridors had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classrooms. Snape's classes down in the dungeons and my common room were the worst, where our breath rose in a mist before us and we had to keep as close as possible to the hot cauldrons.

"I do feel so sorry," said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, looking at Harry and I in particular, "For all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

I didn't feel sorry for myself, it was better than being beaten all the time and Harry was staying. So were Ron and his brothers, because Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie. 

When we left at the end of Potions, a large fir tree was blocking the corridor ahead. Hagrid was trying to shift it up to the Great hall. I took a deep breath through my nose, loving the smell of fresh nature.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Malfoy drawled, coming up behind us. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron grabbed Malfoy by the front of his robes just as Snape came round the corner.

"Now no boys, no making out on the stairs," I said quickly, and Ron dropped Malfoy like a sack of tatties. "Just because there's misteltoe, doesn't mean you have to do it in front of everyone."

"That's disgusting Sparrow," Malfoy sneered, then looked to Snape, waiting on him to do something.

"Weasley-"

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid defended, "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back, "One of these days, I'll get him."

"Get him what? A present?" I asked and Hermione rolled her eyes at me.

"I hate them both," said Harry, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

So we followed Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy with the Christmas decorations.

"Ah, Hagrid, the last tree - put it in the far corner, would you?"

The hall looked spectacular. Festoons of holly and mistletoe hung all around the walls, and no less than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.

"How many days you got left until yer holidays?" Hagrid asked.

"Just one," said Hermione. "And that reminds me, Belle, Harry, Ron, we've got half an hour before lunch, we should be in the library."