Lockhart (edited)

We eventually got up the soaking, muddy, wet hills and left our trunks and cages with the others on the front steps of the school.

"I think the feast's already started," said Ron, "Hey - Harry - Belle - come and look - it's the Sorting!"

We hurried over and peered into the Great Hall. Candles were hovering in midair over the four long, crowded tables, making the golden plates and goblets sparkle.

Overhead, the bewitched ceiling, which always mirrored the sky outside, sparkled with stars. Through the forest of pointed black Hogwarts hats, I could see a long line of scared-looking first years filing into the Hall.

"Hang on . . ." Harry muttered. "There's an empty chair at the staff table . . . Where's Snape?"

"Maybe he's ill!" said Ron hopefully.

"Oi, leave Snape alone!" I frowned, feeling defensive.

"Maybe he's left," said Harry, "Because he missed out on the Defense Against Dark Arts job again!"

"Or he might have been sacked!" said Ron enthusiastically. "I mean, everyone hates him-"

"I don't hate him!" i complained.

"Or maybe," said a very cold voice right behind us, "He's waiting to hear why you three didn't arrive on the school train."

The three of us spun around. There stood Severus Snape. He was still a thin man with sallow skin, a hooked nose, and greasy, shoulder-length black hair, and at this moment, he was smiling in a way that told us we were in very deep trouble.

"Follow me."

Not daring even to look at each other, we followed Snape up the steps into the entrance hall, which was lit with flaming torches. I could smell the food but Snape led us away from it, down a narrow stone staircase to the dungeons.

"Sparrow," Snape stopped, "Go to your common room."

"What?" I asked, surprised, "But sir-"

"Clearly these two trouble makers have been a bad influence, see to it you stop at the infirmary on the way and have your head checked. Now!" Snape all but snarled.

I gave the two boys a confused, slightly terrified look as Snape led them down the stairs, but he stopped when he realised I hadn't moved.

"Surely, as today is your thirteenth birthday, you are very well aware of how to follow instructions, Sparrow?"

My jaw dropped, how did he know it was my birthday? Even Harry and Ron didn't know. Giving the two boys an apologetic smile - to which they shrugged - I headed to the infirmary as told, leaving them to deal with the blame.

Madame Pomfrey fixed my head up, grumbling about it, and then set about my wrist while providing me with some sandwiches. After she was done, I headed down to the Slytherin Dungeons, luckily running across the new first years and the prefect so i slipped in with them.

I didn't stick around to see anyone or have anyone question my late arrival, desperately needing to have a shower and get some sleep, the medicine making me drowsy.

-

The next day was horrible. I found out how angry Hermione was with us, but Neville was quite cheerful in the way he greeted the boys and i.

"Mail's due any minute - I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot," he announced, Neville was known for his forgetfulness.

I had only just taken a bite out of my toast when the owls soared in. A large package bonked Neville on the head, and Errol landed with in a jug of juice with a red envelope.