Chapter 9: Alleyway Beatdown

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

I had trouble sleeping, probably due to all the thoughts in my head. So much had happened in the past few weeks that it was hard to say that this was the "normal" life I was looking for. But, although it was tiring, it was quite exciting. Something different, something unorthodox, a refreshing experience and view from the one I had been trapped in for all those years. Maybe, living a peaceful life wouldn't be as interesting.

In an attempt to clear my thoughts, I headed downstairs to buy some juice from the vending machine. While I was there, I saw a very peculiar sight.

I saw Horikita displayed on the CCTV riding down the elevator. At first, I thought that she was meeting someone in secret on a different floor, but as soon as it reached the first floor, I quickly discarded that thought. Just in the nick of time, I ducked behind the vending machine just as the elevator doors opened.

Huh. I've gotten a bit thicccer since I left the White Room. Might need to start working out again.

Looking cautious and alert, Horikita exited the building and disappeared into the night. Quietly, I tailed her, hiding behind a corner as I sensed another presence.

Who could it possibly be? Maybe she has a secret boyfriend?

"Suzune. I didn't think you'd follow me this far," he said.

Ok, definitely her boyfriend. But, if they're dating her, then they probably are either really desperate or are in need of therapy.

"Hmph. I'm far different from the useless girl you once knew, niisan. I came here to catch you."

"Catch me, hmm?"

Niisan? It was too dark for me to make out the other person. But, could it be him, Student Council President Horikita Manabu?

"I heard you were placed in Class D. I suppose nothing has changed in the last three years. You've always been fixated on following me, and as a result, you don't notice your own flaws. Choosing to come to this school was a mistake."

"That's.... You're wrong about that. I'll show you. I'll reach Class A right away, then–"

"It's pointless. You will never reach Class A. In fact, your class will fall apart soon enough. Things at this school aren't as simple as you think."

"I will definitely, definitely reach—"

"I told you, it's pointless. You really are a disobedient little sister."

Horikita's brother stepped closer to her. From where I was, I could now see him clearly. His face was washed clean of emotion. He stared at Horikita as if she was a stranger. He thrust his hand forward, grabbing his sister by the wrist, Horikita offering no resistance, and pushed her against the wall.

"No matter how I try to avoid you, the fact remains that you're my little sister. If people around here learned the truth, I would be humiliated. Leave this school immediately."

"I-I can't do that... I will definitely reach Class A. I'll show you!"

"How incredibly stupid. Do you want to relive the pain of the past?"

"Niisan, I..."

"You possess neither the abilities nor the qualities needed to reach Class A. Get that through your head."

He moved forward, changing his stance. The situation looked dangerous, for Horikita. Just as I was about to act, a hand tapped me on my shoulder.

Of course, he had arrived.