Arc 2 Chapter 4: Preparing the Board

Yamagod POV

What makes a person who they are? This is a question that is constantly debated. Some might say that a person is molded by the people they interact with, the environment they grow up in, and the influences the world has on them. Others say that a person is born a certain way and that the mentioned factors just help bring their true selves to light. Humans are very fickle and complex creatures, fragile enough to be completely rewired and changed due to a single event. Many of these changes are due to the brain, an organ of the body society still has yet to fully understand.

Another question:

If a human dies, where do they go?

Many who are religious believe in an afterlife, a land that the deceased travel to. But, if that happens, do they even exist? If a person is completely forgotten, wiped away from the memories of every human, yet they still "exist" in the land of the dead, are they an existence, or just a fossil, unknown and uncared for, buried beneath the sands of time?

It had been widely agreed upon that if Earth's timeline was compressed into a single day, society, humans, would only make up the last minute.

What is humans' purpose on this planet?

I pondered this question as I walked towards the dorms, gazing upon the setting sun. The world around me was drenched in an orange-red haze. A gentle breeze blew by, swaying the trees lining the pavement. Behind me, a delinquent followed, hunched and head lowered in submission. Reaching the dorms, I approached the vending machine.

"Oi."

"Yes?" Sudo asked, voice calm.

I must applaud him for regaining his composure so quickly after being beaten down so thoroughly and completely just minutes before.

"You want anything to drink?"

"Uhhh..."

I turned, wondering why he was taking so long. Seeing this, he winced slightly, distancing himself from me slightly. Looks like he still got PTSD.

"Yes?"

"I'll have a can of green tea."

"Sounds good."

After purchasing a can of green tea for Sudo, I tossed it to him. He caught it, eyes widening.

"Thanks, man. Didn't know you'd do that."

"Hah! A great man like me is always generous to his serv–fellow classmates and friends! Now, shall we head to my room to talk?"

"S–sure..."

Walking into my room and taking off our shoes, Sudo scanned the area, eyebrows raised, probably surprised at how charming and neat my room was. Knowing Sudo, his room was probably filled with dirty clothes and other things that would taint my greatness upon sight.

"Sit on the carpet," I ordered. Sudo diligently complied, like a dog to his master. I myself chose to sit on the chair, in order to remind him who was boss.

"So, ask away, Sudo. I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Don't worry, I won't beat you up."

Unless you say something stupid of course.

"Why did you beat me up?"

Because I felt like it.

"Because you wouldn't listen to me. Believe me, if I had any easier way to get through that thick head of yours, I would've employed it."

"But–well... yeah. I guess you're right." Sudo replied, unable to find a suitable rebuttal.

"Next question."