Chapter Eleven - End Of The Beginning

When Beacon Academy fell, the invasion was over. The Grimm had completely devastated the city. Ozpin and Pyrrha Nikos had been killed. Yet despite this, those responsible for the attack had been pushed back. In the aftermath of the attack, Pip met with Glynda Goodwitch. 

Pip: Where is Ozpin?

Glynda: I'm...I'm afraid Ozpin was killed in the attack.

Upon hearing this, Pip maintained a straight face as he lights himself a cigarettes. 

Pip: You have my condolences. 

Glynda: I'm afraid that's not all. The woman responsible for the attack killed Amber and stole her power.

Upon hearing this, Pip simply smoked his cigarette. He realized that the situation had become far more complicated than he anticipated. He also realized that with Ozpin dead, there was the issue of payment for the job. 

Pip: What about the job? The way I see it, the man who hired the Wild Geese for this job is dead. 

Glynda: Ozpin anticipated this. Before he hired you, Ozpin made some....preparations should he die before the job was completed. 

Glynda then hands Pip a Scroll. When Pip activates it, it plays a prerecorded message from Ozpin. 

Ozpin(Message): Captain Bernadotte. If you're receiving this message, then I have met an untimely end before the completion of the job I have hired you for. If you're worried about your payment, do not worry. A substantial portion of the promised payment shall be transferred to your account. At this point, you are now given a choice. You can take the payment now and end it there, or you can continue the job and be paid your promised reward and more. The choice is yours, Captain Bernadotte.

As the message ends, Pip finds himself in an interesting position. He could cut his loses and take the payment or he could continue with the job. But with all that has happened, Pip knew that such a job would have serious dangers. Despite this, Pip smirked. 

Pip: Looks like this job is about to get interesting. 

Glynda: The CCT Tower's have been destroyed as well. Global communications have been halted to a standstill. Remnant is vulnerable. Ironwood has taken his armies back to Atlas. I fear we can no longer count on his support anymore.

Pip: Like I needed that bastard's help. I should get going. A merc's job is never done.

With that, Pip left Beacon. As he meets up with the rest of the Wild Geese, Pip spoke up.

Pip: Listen up, ladies! Ozpin is dead. But he's given up a portion of our reward. 

Wild Geese Grunt: What the hell?!

Pip: But he's got a bigger reward for us when we finish the job. The biggest reward we've ever seen. If any of you want to leave, now's the time!

As Pip says this, the Wild Geese were silent. Pip smiled. 

Pip: Good. Now before we step into the bowels of Hell, there's someone I need to check up on. 

With that, the Wild Geese depart from Vale and make their way to Patch. Meanwhile in the Rose-Xiao Long Family Home, Taiyang steps upside to see a helicopter land near his home. As the helicopter lands, Pip exits the helicopter. 

Pip: Taiyang Xiao Long! It's been too long. 

Taiyang: Pip. Qrow told me to expect you. 

Pip: I came in to check up on the girls. 

Taiyang: You just missed Ruby. She left for a mission. 

Pip: And Yang?

There was a pause which concerned Pip. Taiyang nods his head as he leads Pip inside. When they reach Yang's room, Pip sees Yang sitting on her bed. The first thing he saw was a stump where her right arm used to be. Upon seeing this, Pip wore a sad expression as he sat next to Yang. 

Yang: Uncle Pip.

Pip: Glad to see you're okay, Firecracker. 

Yang: But I'm not. It's all gone - the school, Penny, Pyrrha, and..

Pip: And your teammates?

Yang: Gone. Weiss's dad came by and took her home. And Blake....she just ran! Ran off without saying a word!

Pip: That's not what happened. 

Yang: And how would you know?!

Pip: Because I saw her carrying you away when Adam.....did this to you. Look, I know it looks bad, but....

Yang: Sometimes bad things just happen.

Pip: Don't you think I know that, Yang? I'm a mercenary. I kill people for money. People hire me to do the dirty work they don't want to. It's gotten to the point in my life where I could fall asleep to the sound of gunfire and I'd only wake up if I personally got shot....even then it depends. You might not think you're okay, but you're alive. When you stare at the abyss long enough, the abyss stares right back at you. 

As Pip says this, he hands Yang a photograph of Pip and the Wild Geese posing. Qrow was seen in this picture. 

Pip: Your Uncle Qrow and I have been to Hell and back. We've stared death in the face more times than we can count. And in some of those times, we've spat at death and laughed in his face. It might not make sense now, but you'll realize that those scars let you know that you're alive. And if you're alive, you've made it. 

Yang remained silent as Pip placed a hand on her shoulder. He offered a comforting smile before walking out of Yang's room. As Pip sighed, Taiyang approached him.

Taiyang: What now?

Pip: I still have a job to do. 

Taiyang: Qrow wanted me to give you this before you left. 

Taiyang then gives Pip reads a note. The note read "Still up for the job?" Pip smirked as he folded up the note and put it in his pocket. After that, he and Taiyang shake hands.

Pip: Take good care of Yang, Tai.

Taiyang: I will. Stay safe out there, Pip.

Pip smiled as he exited the Rose-Xiao Long House and boarded the helicopter. In that moment, the job that Ozpin hired Pip and the Wild Geese would continue. This was the end of the beginning.