Chapter Twelve - The Next Step

Months have passed since the Fall of Beacon. During that time, Pip and the Wild Geese prepared for the next stage of their big job from Ozpin. As they waited, Pip could see the ramifications of Beacon's fall. Global communications were halted. Grimm attacks have increased and those responsible for the attacks were nowhere to be found. This was a fine recipe for a disaster. One day at a tavern in Higanbana, Pip and the Wild Geese join Qrow as they watch over Ruby's group who set out for Haven Academy. As the men of the Wild Geese drank their troubles away, Qrow and Pip spoke.

Qrow: Glad you and your boys made it, Pip.

Pip: It's no problem, Qrow. A job's a job.

As Pip says this, Ruby along with Jaune, Ren and Nora were seen approaching an inn opposite to the tavern. As they observe them, a waitress sets two glasses with liquor and ice in front of Pip and Qrow.

Qrow: Oh, we didn't o-

Waitress: From the woman upstairs. Red eyes. Said you wouldn't mind bottom shelf.

As the waitress said this, Pip and Qrow look upstairs to see the spacious lower level of the tavern and its several round tables, while the edge of a balcony is just visible.

Qrow: Thanks.

Waitress: But I went ahead and gave you top. Lucky you.

Pip winks as he gives the waitress a nice tip. The waitress smiles as she walks away. With a pleased smirk, Qrow watches the waitress as she walks away. After she is gone, he looks through the two windows to see no one visible in the lobby of the inn. After a moment, he turns to Pip.

Qrow: Come with me.

Pip: Meeting our....friend?

Qrow: If anything goes wrong....

Pip: No need to tell me twice.

With that, Qrow and Pip take their drinks and head upstairs. They make their way upstairs and meet the woman who bought their drinks.

???: Hello, brother.

Qrow stares at her from the top of the stairs for a moment before moving to her.

Qrow: Raven.

He pulls two chairs beside her and drags it to a position across from her instead. With his hand on the back of the chairs, he simply looks at her expectantly. Raven rolls her eyes and moves her mask to the side. Pip and Qrow soon sit down.

Qrow: So, what do you want?

Raven: A girl can't just catch up with her family?

Qrow: She can, but you're not. Now how 'bout we get on with it? Unless you plan on keeping these comin'.

He sets the glass down.

Raven: Does she have it?

Qrow doesn't answer right away, instead running his fingertip along the edge of his glass.

Qrow: Did you know Yang lost her arm?

Raven: That's not-

Pip: I always knew you were a stone cold bitch, but abandoning your family is mighty low.

Raven: You're one to talk. How many sons and daughters have you and your band of mercenaries orphaned?

Pip: I could say the same to you and your band of bandits. I could never understand why people compare mercenaries to bandits. When you pay a mercenary, he honors his deal. When you pay a bandit, he stabs you in the back when you turn around.

Qrow: Rhetorical question, I know you know. It's just obnoxious that you'd bring up family and then carry on like your own daughter doesn't exist.

Raven: I saved her.

Qrow: Once. Because that was your rule, right? Real "Mom of the Year" material, sis.

Raven leans forward and grabs Qrow by the forearm, stilling his sarcastic, nonchalant motions. Pip moves his hand towards his pistol.

Raven: Sounds like we got ourselves a Mexican Standoff.

Pip: Pretty bold talk. You need guns on us for this to be a Mexican Standoff?

Raven: You really think I would come alone? I've got a few bandits around tavern. Anything happens to me and they attack.

Pip: Hope your band of thieves can handle the Wild Geese.

Raven: Qrow, I told you Beacon would fall and it did. I told you Ozpin would fail and he has. Now you tell me. Does. Salem. Have it?

Qrow: I thought you weren't interested in all of that.

Raven: I just want to know what we are up against.

Qrow: And which "we" are you referring to?

Raven glares and finally lets go of her brother and sits back down with a noise of disgust.

Qrow: You should come back, Raven. The only way we'd beat her is by working together. All of us.

Raven: You're the one who left. The tribe raised us, and you turned your back on them.

Qrow: They were killers and thieves. At least the Wild Geese had honor.

Raven: They were your family.

Qrow: You have a very skewed perception of that word.

Raven stands up, upset.

Raven: I lead our people now. And as leader, I will do everything in my power to ensure our survive.

Qrow: I saw. The people of Shion saw, too.

Raven: The weak die, the strong live. Those are the rules.

Pip: Well, you've certainly got someone strong on your side. I've seen the damage. Even my boys couldn't have pulled that off.

Raven: We couldn't have known the Grimm would set in as quickly as they did.

Qrow: I'm not talking about the Grimm.

Still not facing Qrow, Raven looks up, eyes widening slightly at his words.

Qrow: And I'm not talking about you, either.

Raven: If you don't know where the Relic is, then we have nothing left to talk about.

As she reaches for her mask, Qrow grabs onto the top of it.

Qrow: I don't know where the Spring Maiden is, either, but if you do, I need you to tell me.

Raven: And why would I do that?

Qrow: Because without her, we're all going to die.

A moment of tense silence passes between them as a nearby lantern dies out.

Raven: And which "we" are you referring to?

Qrow grimaces as Raven walks away. The sound of her sword getting unsheathed is heard and he looks up, unhappy. Raven walks into her red portal and disappears. There's the sound of breaking glass and a gasp. Qrow turns to see the waitress, trembling at the sight of Raven disappearing. She takes a cautious step backward as she looks sideways at Qrow and Pip.

Pip: Make this one a double!

As the waitress walks away, Qrow turns to Pip.

Qrow: Once Ruby and the others leave, I'll keep an eye on them.

Pip: I'll stay here with the boys. When you're ready, give us the signal.

Qrow nods to Pip as he walks away. The next morning, Qrow leaves as Ruby and her friends do the same. Pip and the Wild Geese remained at the tavern, waiting for Qrow's signal.