Chapter Thirty Nine - Sparks

After successfully securing the abandoned SDC Mine, Pip and the Wild Geese along with Ruby's group returned to the Atlas Academy to rest. The next day, Clover gathers them in the training room.

Clover: Eyes up, Huntsmen. Time to get used to the new normal in Atlas. Your top priority is Amity Tower. That means protecting supply runs from Grimm and bandits. And protecting the site itself. Diverting all construction resources to Amity Tower means there are going to be gaps in Mantle's defenses against Grimm. They'll need help on the perimeter.

As Clover said this, Ruby's group became concerned. With all the resources the Atlas Military had, they seemed to be dedicating very few of it to helping the people of Mantle. Pip and the Wild Geese were given a joint assignment with Clover and Penny along with Ruby and Qrow to escort a convoy of supplies for the Amity Tower. Inside a transport truck, Pip, Ruby and Qrow discussed their concerns.

Pip: Ironwood's put a lot of thought to this plan. 

Ruby: I just wished he'd at least give some supplies to the people of Mantle.

Pip: Let's hope his plan works. Otherwise we'll be in a world of shit. 

Suddenly, the convoy stops.

Pip: Why are we stopping?

Qrow: What's going on? Grimm?

Clover: No. Worse. You four with me. Penny, stay put and keep an eye on our six. We may need an element of surprise.

Penny: Affirmative. I will plan for six possible outcomes.

With that, Pip along with Ruby and Qrow joined Clover in exiting the truck. Meanwhile outside the truck, two women were standing in the middle of the road in front of a sheet metal barricade built in front of a small canyon. Sensing trouble, Pip kept his revolver close.

???: Alright ladies, time to show them our teeth.

Clover: Robyn! Well, if it isn't Mantle's home town hero. Is there a reason you're blocking an official military transport?

Robyn: Clover, I'm so glad you're here. Maybe you can help me understand why this truck that's supposed to be taking construction materials to fix Mantle's outer wall, is on its way to the middle of nowhere? Are you lost?

Clover: It's pretty easy to get turned around out here in the tundra, everything looks the same. Thanks for checking up on us though. We'll be on our way now.

Clover starts to walk away. Pip smirks as he approaches Robyn.

Pip: Robyn Hill! It's been far too I was wondering when you'd show up!

Robyn: Captain Pip Bernadotte. 

Ruby: You know her, Uncle Pip?

Pip: Intimately. Do you still remember that night we shared in Mantle, Robyn? 

Robyn: Didn't think you'd remember that, Pip. 

Pip: How could I not? It was the best night of my life! 

Pip smirked as he lights himself a cigarette. He begins surveying the area, looking for any possible ambush points. He quickly notices several more women in hiding spots.

Robyn: I was hoping you'd play it straight with me. What's Ironwood doing with Amity at the old SDC mine?

As things became tense between Clover and Robyn, a group of Wild Geese mercenaries formed up around the truck, waiting for Pip's signal to open fire. It wasn't long before Robyn glanced over to Ruby and Qrow. 

Robyn: How 'bout you, pipsqueak? Five o' clock shadow? Any of you want to tell me why Mantle's being put at risk for Ironwood's pet project?

Ruby: We're trying to help Mantle. We need--

Clover: That's enough Robyn. As a potential Councilwoman, you should probably focus on the election instead of harassing Huntsmen. Now, it's time to let us pass.

Robyn: I think you've misjudged the situation. One way or another, these supplies are going to get where they're supposed to go - Mantle.

Clover: Then I suggest you do that through the proper legal channels as a Councilwoman. If you get elected.

Robyn: Now where's the fun in that?

Pip: If you're going to try and ambush us, you better tell your friends trying to approach the back of the truck to stand down. Would be a shame if they got themselves hurt. My boys have itchy trigger fingers. 

As Pip said this, Robyn smirked. Suddenly, Penny flies out from the back of the truck and lands on top of it, her swords levitating around her.

Penny: Robyn Hill. I would like to politely ask that you call off the Huntresses approaching the rear of the truck.

Robyn: Alright. Joana! May!

As Robyn says this, the two women step away from the back of the truck.

Robyn: The Protector of Mantle, huh?

Penny: Let us through, please.

Everyone remains tense for a moment, ready for a fight. Robyn sighs, and Fiona opens the gate on the barricade. Penny comes down from the truck, and she, Ruby, Qrow and Clover start walking to enter the truck. Clover stops and looks back with Pip and the Wild Geese staying behind to keep an eye on them.

Clover: Robyn. Good luck at the election.

As Pip and the Wild Geese remain outside, Robyn and the Happy Huntresses glance over to Pip and the Wild Geese. 

Robyn: Gotta admit, I'm kinda surprised that you caught Joana and May.

 Pip: When you've survived an ambush or two, you tend to pick up a few tricks along the way.

Robyn: I don't know what Ironwood is planning, but I'm going to find out. You can count on that.

Pip: We're not your enemy. We're all on the same side.

Robyn: That's what they all say until they leave you in dust with nothing but broken promises and a condescending smile. Now you two might want to run along now. Wouldn't want to start up trouble, do we?

With that, Pip and the Wild Geese walked away to rejoin the others. 

Wild Geese Lieutenant: That was a close one, Captain. 

Pip: Maybe a little too close. C'mon. We still have a job to do. 

With that, Pip and the Wild Geese joined the others as they drove away. With that, Pip and the Wild Geese completed their mission to deliver the supplies for the Amity Tower. But this would not be their final encounter with the Happy Huntresses.