Chapter Twenty Seven - Dead End

The next day, Pip and the rest of Ruby's group walk up to the Atlesian Military base on the island off the coast of Argus, only for the gates to abruptly close on them before they could even enter.

Yang: Come on! You didn't even hear us out!

Nubuck Guard 1: Our orders are clear: The Mistral-Atlas border is closed!

Nubuck Guard 2: Please!

Nubuck Guard 1: Have a good day!

As Qrow points out Weiss Schnee, the guards rush to fetch the commanding officer. Soon enough, the military base's commanding officer makes her presence known. The guards introduce her as Caroline Cordovin.

Ruby: H-hello! Miss, uh, Cordovin. My name is Ruby Rose, and I was wondering if you would hear us out about....

Cordovin: I've already heard what your other little friends had to say, Miss Rose.

Pip: Typical Atlas bullshit. When REAL trouble comes knocking, they go running with their tails between their legs. 

As Pip says this, Cordovin glances over to Pip.

Cordovin: Captain Pip Bernadotte. I'm not surprised you're involved in this. You civilians are clearly incapable of comprehending the importance of our mission here in Argus. So allow me to say this slowly, with smaller words: This base, that relay tower, the very safety of Argus are all gifts from the glorious Kingdom of Atlas! And it is my duty to uphold them, as only I have the wit and tenacity for such a task.

Guard Nubuck 1: Such wit!

Guard Nubuck 2: Such tenacity!

Maria: Or maybe Atlas just wanted to get you as far from the kingdom as possible.

Cordovin: You're just like the rest of these Argus ingrates! This city wouldn't even be here if it weren't for our Atlesian ancestors, and what do we get in return? The entire world is ready to put a knife to our throats!

As things grew tense between Maria and Cordovin, Pip leaned down on Cordovin. He then proceeds to blow smoke from his cigarette all over Cordovin's face, causing her to cough. Maria chuckles at Pip's actions. 

Maria: Nice one, sonny. 

Cordovin: Typical mercenary arrogance. You think just because you shoot guns means you're better than the Atlas Military. 

Pip: I don't think the Wild Geese are better than the Atlas Military. I know the Wild Geese are better than the Atlas Military. 

Cordovin: It's amusing that you think so highly of yourself. You and your band of vagrants are nothing more than hire killers. While we do what we do in service to Remnant, you do what you do for money. 

Pip: That's exactly what I am. I'm a mercenary and a damn good one at that. Sorry if the obvious offends you.

Cordovin: Your attitude offends me. The smugness. The arrogance. The bravado. If you think you can swagger up to me, thump your chest and tell me that you can solve the world's problems, then you are sorely mistaken. 

As Cordovin says this, Pip takes a step towards Cordovin, causing the Nubuck Guards to place their hands on their weapons. As things escalated, Weiss stepped in to try and calm the situation.

Weiss: No one's happy about the Atlas borders or embargo, but I know General Ironwood is just worried. It's why we need to talk to--

Cordovin: The General is no coward! Atlas is strong. If all the kingdoms plan to make us their enemy, then so be it! Atlas will prevail!

Pip: If you want a problem talked to death, call the Atlas Military If you want a new problem, call the Atlas Military. if you want a problem fixed, hire the Wild Geese. It seems the only ones capable of doing some actual work are mercenaries. 

Cordovin: As if a civilian would know anything about it. General Ironwood is one of Remnant's top military minds. If anything, it's this so called "great evil" that's unprepared for what they plan to face. I frankly don't care who you are, alien or otherwise In my eyes, you're just another civilian who has no business in military matters. If Miss Schnee has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then, of course, the Atlas military will escort her home. But the kingdom will not be responsible for her "friends" of... questionable character.

As Cordovin glances at Blake, Pip steps forward. 

Pip: Look me in the eye and say that again. 

Cordovin: Is that a threat, mercenary? I don't care who you think you are, I will happily throw you and your band of hired guns in a cell. 

It was in that moment that Weiss steps in.

Weiss: What's that supposed to mean?

Cordovin: It means we're done here.

With that, the doors to the Argus Military Base slam shut, leaving the group outside. Nora becomes enraged.

Nora: Oh yeah? Well, your face looks...like a big dumb boot!

Jaune: Way to show her, Nora...

Weiss: I don't...

Ruby: Weiss. I told you we wouldn't leave your side for a second. We'll find a way to Atlas. Together.

As Weiss smiles at Ruby, Qrow begins walking away.

Ruby: So... where are we going now?

Nora: Yeah, what's the plan?

Qrow: The plan? The plan just got shut on our face three times over. I'm going for a drink.

Pip: We'll drink once we find a way to Atlas. 

Qrow: The plan's gone to hell, Pip. Even you know that taking on the Atlas Military is a suicide note. 

Pip: Then we'll come up with another plan.

Qrow: Well why don't you ask Oz what the plan is?!

With that, Qrow scoffs and walks away.

Jaune: What's his problem? It's not your fault we can't go on.

Nora: If he's gonna be a jerk then we'll just come up with something without him. I mean, we've got Ozpin with us! He usually knows what to do.

As Nora said that, most of the group looked to themselves with troubled looks, knowing the truth behind Ozpin. With that, the group reached another dead end. They would need to find another way to continue on their journey. But a solution would soon present itself. However, before the journey could continue, the truth about Ozpin and Salem would need to revealed to Jaune, Ren and Nora.