Chapter Thirty Seven - The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

After a brief resting period, Clover gathers Pip, Ruby, Qrow and Jaune in a planning room. He briefs them on a mission that involves securing an abandoned Dust Mine that will serve as the launch site for the Amity Communications Tower. They are also informed of sightings of a Geist that has been attacking Huntsmen. After the briefing,Pip met up with Team RWBY.

Yang: We're really not gonna tell Ironwood about what happened to Oz? What we learned about Jinn? About Salem?

Ruby: We are. We will. But you saw how things looked when we flew into Atlas.

Blake: The General's heart seems to be in the right place, but that doesn't mean we should trust him yet.

Weiss: We need to play along for a while before we make any major decisions.

Pip: Whatever happens, we got your back.

With that, Pip and Ruby's group embarked on their mission. Pip and the Wild Geese got in their helicopter while Team RWBY got on an airship. On the way to the mines, Pip updates his men on the mission.

Pip: Listen up, ladies! Ironwood wants this mine cleared out for his pet project. This mine still has active Dust pockets. If we trigger them, the whole mine could collapse. Watch your shots.

Soon enough, the Wild Geese landed near the south entrance of the mines. As they walked through the narrow corridors, the Wild Geese kept their eyes out for Grimm.

Pip: Clear left. 

Wild Geese Lieutenant: Clear right. 

As Pip and the Wild Geese continued to move through the mines, they were ambushed by a pack of Centinel Grimm.

Pip: Centinels! Open fire!

Pip and the Wild Geese began firing on the Grimm. They fired short controlled bursts from their weapons as to avoid igniting the Dust. 

Pip: Keep pushing!

The Centinels proved no match for the Wild Geese as they pushed deeper into the mines. Eventually, they met up with the rest of the group in the deepest part of the mine.

Clover: What took you so long?

Pip: Handling some old friends.

Harriet: And I thought you mercs were supposed to be the best of the best.

Pip: Cut the chatter, kid, Were you able to find the Geist?

Clover: No. Something tells me it's lurking around here somewhere.

Vine: Everyone use caution. This room is highly active with Dust energy. Triggering it could ruin the launch site.

Pip: We're not a bunch of rookies. We know the drill 

The Geist soon reveals itself. It is revealed that the Grimm added Dust to it's body, making attacking it much more difficult. 

Pip: Looks like this ugly son of a bitch wants to play dirty! Let's show them how the Wild Geese play!

Pip and the Wild Geese then launched a coordinated attack on the Grimm. The Ace-Ops then join Domino Squad in the attack on the Geist. As the Ace-Ops batters the Geist's armor, a Wild Geese Grunt tosses a flashbang at the Geist. The resulting detonation stuns the Geist. Seeing the opportunity, both the Wild Geese and the Ace-Ops launch a coordinated attack against the Geist. Pip deals the final blow by unloading his revolver on the Geist's mask, killing it. 

Pip: Outstanding, Wild Geese! Out fucking standing!

As the Geist was killed, Team RWBY and Team JNR were impressed at how flawlessly the Ace-Ops were able to work together.

Clover: Good work everyone. 

Pip: You kids didn't do so bad. But you've all still got a lot to learn. 

As the mine was cleared out of remaining Grimm, Clover met up with Domino Squad. 

Clover: Not bad, Captain Bernadotte. I guess your reputation is well earned. 

Pip: The Wild Geese always aims to please. 

Harriet: You're giving these mercs too much credit, Clover. They only did a good job because they're being paid too. They hired guns.

Pip: Oh? You got something to say to me and my boys, kid? 

Harriet: Not to mention that it was pretty reckless. You and your men shooting up the mines didn't make things better. You could've blown the whole mine up and compromised the mission!

Pip: Like I said, we're not rookies We're professionals. This isn't the first time were we were sent to a location where we had to watch our fire. Try fighting your way through a bomb infested room where one stray shot could blow up the whole building. Now that was a shitshow. This was a walk in the park. 

Clover: Easy there, Captain. Harriet may be a little brash but she means well. We're all on the same team, Captain Bernadotte. 

Pip: She definitely has the Atlas attitude. 

Harriet: As if I need to be lectured by a hired gun who kills for money. 

As Harriet said this, Pip aims his revolver at Harriet's direction and fires. At first, Harriet assumed Pip was firing a shot at her. As Harriet was startled by this, a Centinel falls next to her.

Pip: Watch your head, rookie.

That quip earned a few chuckles from some of the other Wild Geese. Harriet was none too pleased by Pip's nonchalant attitude. 

Pip: Alright, boys! We're done here! Now let's get the hell out of here and get our pay! Drinks are on me!

With that, the mission was a success. The group then left the mines and made their way back to the ships to report on their success. But what no one realized was that Salem's agents had arrived at both Atlas and Mantle, ready to move forward with their plans. For now, they would lie in the shadows.