Chapter Twenty Eight - Revelation

After their failure to get into the Argus Military Base, everyone heads back to Saphron's home. After that, Ruby tells Jaune and the rest of Team JNPR the truth about what they know. Upon learning this, Jaune becomes enraged as he punches a wall.

Jaune: Everything we did was for nothing!

Blake: That's not true.

Nora: Really? Cuz it sure does sound like it.

Blake: I, um...

Ren: If Salem can't be killed, then how are we supposed to win this?

Everyone became silent as Oscar attempts to calm the situation down.

Oscar: Look, none of this is great, we know. But we're not the bad guys here.

Jaune: Are we sure about that?

Oscar: What?

Jaune: He's in your head, isn't he? Did you already know about this?

Weiss: He didn't know any of it!

In a moment of raw anger, Jaune grabs Oscar and shoves him against the wall.

Jaune: How much longer can we even trust him?! How do we even know it's really him?! What if we have been talking to that liar this whole time?!

It was at this moment that Pip stepped in and pulled Jaune off.

Pip: Cool down, Jaune! 

Jaune: What the hell do you think you're doing?!

Pip: I know you're angry, Jaune. You have every right to be. But getting angry and attacking the kid isn't going to do anything about it.

Ruby: Listen, Jaune. We can't afford to break apart like this! Not now!

Jaune: How can I?! Because of Ozpin, Pyrrha died! If he didn't get her involved, she'd still be alive! And now we learn that Salem can't be killed!

Pip: What happened to Pyrrha was a tragedy.

Jaune: What do you care? You're only in this for the money. Like you actually care what happens to any of us!

Pip: Believe it or not, I actually do care about you all. And this whole job has become one big pain in my ass. But regardless, I've been hired for a job and the Wild Geese always keep their word. 

Ren: But Salem can't be killed. How do you expect to kill her?

Pip: I'll find a way. But as it stands, none of us can take on Salem alone! If you leave now, then Pyrrha will have died in vain.

It was at this point that rage took hold of Jaune. He got up and lashed out at Pip. As Jaune threw a punch at Pip, the Mercenary Captain parries the punch and knees Jaune in the stomach. Pip then knocks Jaune to the ground and pins him to the ground. 

Pip: You have every right to be pissed off, Jaune. But we got bigger things to worry about. 

As Pip said this, the room fell silent. Jaune then got up and glanced over to Oscar. A feeling of guilt came over him. He then walked upstairs where slamming was heard.

Yang: Is he...gonna be okay?

Nora: I don't know!

Ren: I think it would be best if we had some time to ourselves.

With that, Nora and Ren walked out of the room.

Blake: Maybe we could all use some space.

After that incident, Pip stepped outside to get some air. As Pip laments on all that has happened, he lights himself a cigarette and begins smoking.

Pip: What a fucking shit show...

As Pip smokes, he spots Ruby trying to call Qrow to no avail.

Pip: Kiddo, are you all right?

Ruby: I don't know. I don't know anything... What do I tell Jaune and his team when we don't even have a plan? Qrow's out drinking, Ozpin hasn't come back and even if he did, I don't know if I could trust him. And there's always Jinn, but... we only have one more question we can ask her. I feel like I'm letting everyone down...

Pip: You are doing the best you can with what you've been given. I have been in that position before.

Ruby: Maria took me in to teach me about her eyes, but....but I don't know if I can do it. Sometimes I envy you, Uncle Pip. It must be easy being a mercenary. 

Pip: Not exactly. Like you, I'm responsible for the safety of my men. I feel the sting of loss whenever I lose a man. My men are like my kids. While many of your friends would disagree, the bond I share with my men are the same as you and your friends. 

Ruby took a moment to process her adopted Uncle's words. Pip ruffled Ruby's hair. 

Pip: You've come a long way from being that sweet little girl reading fairy tales and dreaming of heroes. 

Ruby: Yeah...so stupid....

Pip: Don't sell yourself short, Kiddo. You're every bit the hero you always wanted to be. Things will be worse before it gets better. That's just life. But as long as you keep going, then maybe you can make all this madness and death mean something. 

Ruby: Do you really think so, Uncle Pip? 

Pip: I know so, Ruby. As for your Uncle Qrow, well you let ole Uncle Pip worry about that. I know a few ways to get that dusty old crow back on his feet. After all, I'm can be very convincing.

Pip offered a comforting smile to Ruby. As Ruby found her spirit, Pip ruffled her hair once more. Soon enough, Pip and Ruby went back inside where Yang, Weiss and Blake along with Jaune, Ren and Nora were waiting.

Ruby: Oh, hey guys.

Jaune: What's going on?

Blake: It's Oscar. He's missing.

With that, everyone began the search for Oscar. For now, the rift that has been reopened has been sealed.