Part 13 Eddie

"Will you Katrina Winstead, go with me to prom?"

The beautiful young woman rapidly nodded and gave Eddie a hug. 

Katrina and Eddie had been going strong since 8th grade and now were going to prom together. Middle school and high school had been a breeze. Eddie graduated with amazing grades and great friends he hoped be could keep forever. He had been one if the most popular boys at school as well so he never had to be worried about bullying. 

"I can't wait to pick put my dress and you need to find a suit and AHH IM SO EXCITEDDD!!" Katrina ran down the school hallway to find her friends and tell them the great news. 

Eddie smiled and went over to where Wyatt and James were sitting. 

"Ugh now I'm the only one without a date!" Wyatt exclamied.

Yesterday James asked out this girl Becca but Wyatt still hadn't gotten the courage to find anyone he liked. His had wanted to ask his on again off again girlfriend Jaylen but both Eddie and James told him that was a horrible idea. 

"You could always ask Rachel, she's desperate for someone to ask her." Eddie suggested. 

Wyatt nodded and told them he'd ask her later. The final school bell rang and the boys headed out to a local store to look for suits. Eddie picked out a navy blue suit with red cuffs and pleated pants. 

"Do you think Katrina will like this?" Eddie asked his friends holding up the outfit.

Wyatt nodded but James came over and picked up the price tag. 

"And how are are you gonna afford this?" James asked

Eddie's eyes widened. There was no one he could buy that. He worked at as a bus boy at a local restaurant but it payed no where near enough to cover the outfit he wanted. The rest of his friends had their parents to pay for their clothes but Sonia would get all up into his business and probably find a reason for Eddie not to go. 

"You could always rent a tux?" Wyatt suggested as he pulled out one he liked from a rack.

"Your kidding right? Eddie would never wear something that gets used by so many people!" James laughed

Eddie frowned knowing James was right. Just the thought of how many bodies had been in those clothes made him shutter. 

"So what am I gonna do?? Katrina is gonna go bonkers if I don't have something nice to wear!" Eddie exclaimed. 

The store clerk looked up at the boys with raised eyebrows. 

"Please buy something or get out," The worker told them, visibly annoyed with the boys indecision.

Wyatt and James both quickly grabbed suits and brought them to the register as Eddie went outside to wait for them. 

He took his flip phone out pf his pocket to check his texts.

1 New Text

Eddie saw something from an unknown number.

Unknown: You have ten more years! Did you miss me Eddie?

Me: Who are you?

Unknown: 🤡

Eddie stared at the little emoji trying to figure out what it may have meant. Eddie was about to text someting back but the texts and number disappeared. 

"EDDIE!" James was shaking his shoulders and screaming his name.

"Chill out! What!?" Eddie questioned.

Wyatt looked confused and so did James.

"Uhh your eyes were just like rolled back into your head and you weren't responding. We were kinda worried about you," James explained.

Eddie looked at them like they were crazy. He shook his head trying to explain the weird text and  but they said he wasn't even on his phone. Eddie felt the phone in his hands but when he looked down there was nothing. He then felt into his pocket and found his cell there just like his friends said.

"Anyways, we had an idea of how you can get the suit," James started

"Ya, see me uncle owns this limo company and this time of year is filled with proms so its a busy limo season. He could always use the extra help and it would probably pay well. So ya if you want a limo job I can get you one," Wyatt told him.

Eddie told the boys that sounded great and before he knew it he was a part time limo driver. 

"115 School avenue in Harwich please!" A girl screamed jumped in the car with a group of girls.

Eddie spent that whole week driving people around and it was pretty fun and Wyatt was right the pay was amazing. Soon enough Eddie had enough money for the outfit he wanted. Eddie had spent a lot of his driving time thinking about those texts he had gotten. Well maybe had gotten. He couldn't have imagined it! It felt for real and when he had seen the clown emoji a vague  memory snapped in his brain. It was this clown coming out of a fridge and a boy helping Eddie with a broken arm. A red headed girl with short hair stabbed the clown through the head and it slithered away. Eddie knew it sounded insane but it seemed so realistic. 

Eddie drove the limo into the parking-lot at the end of his shift where Wyatt's uncle, Mr.Toolas, was waiting.

As the man took the keys from Eddie he said, "You know, my company has a unit in New York City and your finishing up high school and well if you're interested I could recommend you. Also I have a one bedroom studio up there I've been meaning to rent out. I would be able to give you a discount."

Eddie thought about it. Moving to the city sounded great! He could finally be away from his mom and have some independence. But then he remembered Katrina. He couldn't leave her here! He loved her!!

"I'll think about it. Thank you much Mr.Toolas!" 

Eddie went over to his own car and drove home, calling Katrina on the way. He told her to meet him in his room so they could talk. 

"What's up Eddie?" Katrina asked as soon as Eddie walked in the room.

She was plopped on his bed patting the spot to her for him to sit down.

"H-how'd you get into here? My mom's home," Eddie asked her.

Katrina smiled and pointed to the open window. Eddie nodded sat down on the bed. 

"Listen Katrina, I was offered a great job as a full time limo driver. But you see it's in New York."

Katrina nodded, looking down. Eddie was worried about what she might say. He didn't want to break up with her but at this point it might be the only option. 

"Let's get married," Katrina announced.

"Uh what!?!!" Eddie squeaked out.

She nodded again like she was telling herself it was a good idea, "I love you, you love me, neither of us want to end our relationship so ya let's get married. We can go down to the local church and get eloped. James can be out witness and that'll be it! We have our prom outfits so we can do it on prom night!"

Eddie thought about spending the rest of his life with the one he loved all the time, but he had never really thought about who it would be. He pictured a romantic person who would love him even on his worst days. He figured that it could be Katrina but somewhere deep in his heart he felt that their was someone else. 

He tried to ignore that feeling and smiled at Katrina saying, "Let's do it!"