Chapter One

Monday morning is my worst enemy. I dont want to say goodbye to my blissful weekend, I hate to go back to my chores after having a super lazy Sunday, and I loathe this stupid traffic.

Sitting on the drivers seat, I lean forward with my fingers clutching the steering wheel. My eyes are fixed on the traffic light, wishing I could burn it down with an invisible laser light coming out of my brown pupils. Weve been stuck at this intersection for a good twenty minutes, and the freaking light turns green only for fifteen seconds before switching back to red. I swear I will sue the person who made this rule.

To add to that, my seven-year-old daughter hasnt stopped chirping since she woke up this morning, prompting me to bite the inner part of my cheek to refrain from snapping at her.

Diana and Robby kissed last week, Ella says. Does it mean Robby is Dianas boyfriend now?

Uh. I drum my fingers on the steering wheel, trying to recall any conversation with my sister about her daughter having a boyfriend. Nothing comes up. Can be. What did Diana say about it?

Well, Robby never really said they are a couple but Diana thinks that they are.

Oh. The green light blinks. I grab the stick and shift, ready to hit the accelerator, but the red mini cooper in front of me doesnt move its ass fast enough. Come on, come on, come on, you turtle! The orange light flickers and right after the car passes the line, the red light returns. I throw my hands in the air and cuss, Goddammit! You gotta be kidding me!

Calm down, Mama.

I grit my teeth. Were late, honey.

I know, but swearing is unnecessary.

Shit. I gulp down a fake lump in my throat, having a taste of my own medicine. She just repeated the very line I said to her every time people cursed in front of us. I sigh. Youre right. Sorry. That was unnecessary.

So, do you think they are boyfriend and girlfriend now?

Here we go again. I cant answer that question, to be honest, but if they have kissed like what you said, they probably are.

Children nowadays are nothing like what I knew back in the days. I dont know if I wanted to laugh or cry when I learned that kids at Ellas school were already familiar with the idea of dating and kissing. Some of them even went home with plastic bands wrapping their fingers and proclaimed that they were married! I know its just a puppy love thing and its harmless, but its enough to give me a headache when my daughter shoots random questions now and then. Especially when I suck at that department.

Mrs. Donegal kissed the gardener but they are not a couple.

My breath hitches on my throat. What?

Mrs. Donegal kissed Mathew but they are not a couple, Ella repeats her line, slower with more pressure in her tone as if Im too dumb to understand her.

Yeah, I heard that, I reply, shifting my gaze to her in the rear-view mirror. But how did you even know about this? Did they do that in the open?

No. She frowns, but then her eyes widen. She lets out a soft gasp as she brings her hand to cover her mouth.

I peer at her. Ella Jane Kim, did you use the telescope to spy on our neighbors?

My daughter winces before reluctantly lifting her gaze to look back at me, a regret coating her eyes. It was an accident! I didnt mean to spy. I was just cleaning it up and peeking through it to check if the lenses were clear enough, and...I saw them.

I take a deep breath as I massage my temple. You know the rule, young lady. No telescope for two weeks.

But I didnt do it on purpose, Mama. It really was an accident!