Chapter six

Walking with my tail between my legs, I pray that the person I dread seeing is not sitting in her room. Max told me that Ms. Manoban was leaving for an event this morning, and she would appreciate it if I could start with the assistant role before her departure. And I, of course, stalled as long as I could until I had no more reason to postpone my trip to the thirteenth level.

Surprisingly, the executive floor isnt as dead as yesterday evening. Every secretarial desk situated in front of its executives room has a human sitting behind it, except for the one for my CEO. The hum of people conversing, telephones beeping, and the sound of fingers dancing furiously on the keyboard fill the air. The door of the room between the elevator and Ms. Manobans is now open, revealing a huge desk with Mr. Tan sitting on it, frowning while reading a paper in his hand. I jump as laughter booms, followed by two men in their forties emerging from the room at the end of the hallway. Where were these people yesterday?

I trudge to Ms. Manobans door which to my dismay, is slightly open; a sign that she is still here. Dammit! My eyes roam over the empty executive assistant desk that stands proudly as if its staring back at me, mocking me. Its an L-shape table with two computer screens sitting on it. A half-length cabinet is placed against the wall behind the assistants chair, adorned by decorative floating shelves hanging above it. This working space is more luxurious than the one we have downstairs despite the fact that we are the ones who bring the revenue to this company. How convenient!

Youre here. Good.

I have no idea how long Ms. Manoban has been standing at her doorway. Her handsome face isnt as red as when I left yesterday, but I still can see the flush around her nose and mouth. Her sharp gaze is fixed on me, making my already corrupted courage shrink even more. I whimper inwardly.

Should I apologize? But doesnt it mean I admit defeat? Because despite my regret for succumbing to my impulsiveness, I dont feel guilty. She deserved it. But will he make my life a living hell if I dont apologize? Maybe I should then.

Ms. Manoban I apologize... I start my line but my tongue betrays me, for not beings able to arrive here sooner.

Ms Manoban raises her eyebrows slightly, but her face remains stoic. I believe Max explained the predicament we have at the moment. Thus, this isnt permanent, and take this as an opportunity to learn.

The way she stresses the words predicament and learn makes me shiver. Why does she sound so ominous? Does she mean we as a company or we as Jennie Kim and Lalisa Manoban? She doesnt know that I know the part about the chili sauce producer bullshit, right? She wasnt there when Max told me about it. So, lets just pretend that Max never brought that up. Lets settle with me taking the assignment without any questions because Im a good employee.

Yes,Ma'am .

For this morning, I wont ask much from you except to clear all the schedules I have today after four. If I have an appointment with clients, cancel it and make a new one. Summon every dept head for an urgent meeting this afternoon, anywhere between four and six is good.

I hurry to the desk, yank post-it notes and a pen, and quickly jot down her instructions.

I will be out for an event and I wont be back before lunch, but when Im back, I want my coffee on my desk. Please, do not trouble yourself by making it this time. She takes her wallet out of her pocket and pulls out a blue card before tossing it to my table. I want you to go to the coffee shop in the building across the street. And I want it black. Any questions?

I gulp, feeling my throat dry instantly. No, Ma'am.

Good. You can study this weeks schedules that Alex had set before she left and prepare the documents accordingly. And, Ms. Kim, I dont want any disturbance. Any call or inquiry that has nothing to do with this company shall be rejected.