Chapter Twenty Five

I cant believe my ears. I stop dead in my tracks, not daring to move, not even breathing. Im almost convinced this is a dream, and that counting the backward sheep actually worked. Then she walks slowly in my direction. The crunch of the gravel under her shoes, her familiar scent as she moves closer, and her smile —the sad smile, yet the glint in her eyes reflects relief— assure me that this is real.

Are you alright? My voice comes out as a whisper.

She nods. I will be. Her eyes graze down to check my attire. Where are you going this late?

I cant sleep. I thought I would just go to Ella and snuggle with her.

Lisas eyes turn softer. Oh, okay. I dont know why I drove here. I can come back tomorrow.

No, I dont need to go. I would probably wake her up if I went there anyway. I shrug as I cross my arms against my chest, feeling the chilly midnight wind. Lets go inside.

We go through the garage which has direct access to the kitchen door. I flinch when realizing that I havent had a chance to clean up. The pizza box is sitting on the countertops, next to the used dishes from our quick afternoon lunch, while Ellas magazine and pink mug are occupying the dinner table.

Beer? I offer after quickly clearing the trash and dirty dishes off the kitchen counter.

No, I dont think alcohol is a good idea for now. Can I have coffee instead?

Sure. I might need one, too.

No extra sauce, please.

I open my mouth, wanting to answer her, but then I bite my lower lip as I chuckle. About that, Im sorry. I was pissed at you and wanted you to pay for the crude remarks you made on my first day.

Such an interesting choice to punish your boss, Lisa replies, sauntering over to me before leaning back against the counter, watching me setting up the coffee machine. I was such an ass that evening; not having a good day at all. But not gonna lie, if I look back at that moment, I always find it hilarious. You were the weirdest yet the most fearless woman I ever bumped into.

Wow, Im not sure if its a compliment butthanks?

Youre welcome.

As the machine starts brewing, the silence between us slips in, but its nothing awkward; its comfortable silence. The gurgling noise from the coffee machine fills the air while Im watching the black liquid dripping into the carafe.

How was the rest of the party? I ask.

Good. It went well. People were already going crazy when I got there. You should see Max and the girls on your team. They really killed it.  Lisa shakes her head while chuckling.

Oh, I missed out on the good part.

There will be an official video for tonights party. You can see it there. Lisa slips her hands into her pockets, looking down at my kitchen floor while hee expression grows darker. Diandra and I left a little hour after the real party began.

I hold my breath. This must be the part where she had a painful breakup with her. Im sorry for what happened between you two.

Me too. But I know that ourwhatever we had was bound to end eventually.

It takes my whole self-restraint to not ask her why its bound to end because its none of my business. Still, I need to know whether or not the kiss was one of the reasons.

Did youtell her?

Well, Lisa starts and then pauses to think, sending my anxiousness through the roof, I told her I was here with you.