Chapter Seventeen

Standing in front of this wooden door again gives me a Déjà vu. Only, the executive assistants desk is now occupied by a frowning secretary who gives me a mixed look, somewhere between curious and concerned. Not wanting to give him the idea why Im here, I just shrug at Andy. If he thinks that Im in some kind of trouble, then hes not completely wrong.

Two knocks and the door is pulled open, revealing our CEO who summoned me to her chamber. If I didnt know that there was a camera above my head, I wouldve been swooned by the thought that she must have been standing behind the door for a good ten minutes, waiting for my arrival. But now I know better.

I smile at her brightly. Maam.

Miss Kim, please, come in. She scoots to the side while holding the door open for me.

Once inside, my eyes spot a huge food platter sitting on his coffee table. My mouth waters instantly when I see the mixed sushi rolls and tempura —which is enough to feed the whole floor— displayed in a zig-zag next to sauce bowls. Coming up here isnt a bad idea after all.

Wait, what if its some kind of a trap?

The clicking sound of the door lock prompts me to stop short and slowly turn around. She never locked the door when she had company before.
Lalisa smiles at me, rather eerily. What are you waiting for? she says. Go ahead, eat as much as your stomach can handle. I know youre on the verge of killing yourself because of that hospital food.

I walk to the sofa while eyeing the luxurious lunch my not-so-generous boss has prepared for me. She cant be this nice, can she? What is she up to? Does she want to gain something in return; something I might not like?

Jennie. Lisa sighs. We dont have much time. Go dive in and dont worry, the food isnt...overly spiced up.

Ignoring the dangerous subject he tried to poke, I nod as I grab the small plate and a pair of chopsticks. For now, I will not dwell on my suspicions because what I need is a clear mind for the talk, and I wont get to that state with a growling tummy.

Lisa takes the reading chair across the table, facing me. Crossing her legs, she places both her hands on the armrests. She taps her fingers mindlessly while her emerald green eyes never leave me as I try to enjoy my food.

Feeling the growing discomfort of being watched while eating, I tilt my head to her. Dont you need to eat, too?

Lisa brings her hands together, interlaces her fingers, and rests her chin on top of them. She slowly shakes her head. Im still full. I had a brunch meeting a couple of hours ago.

Alright, I mumble as I fill my plate with the next batch of sushi rolls. If she wants to just sit there and watch me eat, then I wont let her stop me from savoring the free food. I know shes not lying when she says shes still full. During the time I was working as her assistant, she would only have her coffee for lunch when she had a brunch meeting.

That guy in the hospital isnt Park Jongin. He is Kim Jongin (Kai), she starts after I finish my third plate. So, how did he become Ellas father now?

I knew she would start the investigation once she left the hospital. If he could figure out the chili sauce prank in one night, she must have had all the information he needs about Kai by now.

Its a long story, but Im going to fix it, I reply quickly.

Thats not an answer to my question, Jennie.

Resting my plate on my lap, I take a few sips of bottled water. Ella kept asking me who his father was and why he wasnt around. I just couldnt tell her that she was conceived in a one-night stand, and that I didnt know who her father was. She was only four. So, I lied. I told her that her father was my college sweetheart who left me after a disagreement. When I found out I was pregnant, he was already out of the radar.