Chapter Thirteen

Ive been trying to call  Lalisa Manobans personal number, leave her a voice message, and even text her, but I havent got a single response from her. Once I can get a hold of Andy, he says that her boss has been tied up in the meeting with Mr. Remington and the team. For dramatic effect, he whispers ominously on the phone, If you still want to have your soul intact, youd better not bother her now.

Honestly, I dont care. She can bite me all she wants later, but first, I want her blood.

Its already lunch break when I reach the thirteenth floor. Once the elevator doors slide open, the delicious aroma coming from the pantry invades my nostrils, making my stomach growl like a mad dog. But food can wait because my daughters life is on the line. Noticing that the executive assistants desk is empty, I march directly to Mrs. Manobans door. Andy told me that our CEO didnt have any lunch appointments, which means shes probably having her lunch inside her room right now.

Once standing in front of her door, I take a deep breath while gathering my courage to announce my arrival. Its when I hear a male voice murmur and a female giggle behind the door. Shes having company, and whatever theyre doing at this very moment, it doesnt sound like a work-related visit. Is he doing funny business in her office room right now? During lunchtime?

The latest gossip about her getting back together with her ex pops up in my mind. It must be her then; it must be the faceless woman. If it wasnt for Ella, I would just turn around and leave, but what needs to be done needs to be done.

The laughter stops once I knock, followed by a brief silence before his familiar voice echoes across the room. Yes? She must think Im Andy.

Feeling unsure about how he will react to my unexpected appearance, I clear my throat and reply, Ms. Manoban?

I hear footsteps approach the door and before I can respond, the door is swung open, revealing the face that has been giving me conflicted feelings in the past month. Jennie?

maam, I greet, forcing myself to smile.

Her eyes graze down observing my appearance which Im sure looks like total shit right now. Whats wrong?

Can I have a word with you, ma'am? I ask, glancing at the office room behind him but the door is blocking my sight.

Cant it wait until the lunch break is over? Im busy right now.

I shake my head. Im afraid not, Ma'am. Its urgent.

Who is it, Lis? asks the female voice before a red-haired woman emerges from behind her. Then our eyes meet.

Shes pretty. No, she is stunning. Her ivory skin glows against her auburn hair, bringing out her breathtaking grayish-green eyes. Faint freckles adorn her high cheekbones, sprinkling over her pointed nose. Shes not as tall as I am, but the way she carries herself reminds me of a catwalk model.

Ms. Manoban turns her head to her and smiles, making me realize that he never actually smiled during the time I was working for her. Nothing like this. Its my new account executive, Jennie. She said she needed to talk.

The now not-faceless woman breaks our staring contest and looks up at her boyfriend, slightly frowning. Does it have to be now?

Yes, actually. It has to be now, I reply.

Ms. Manoban furrows her eyebrow as she tilts her head to me, showing a mix of surprise and annoyance; the expression she gives when someone replies for her without being asked. Her lips twitch and the glint in his eyes throws me back to the first week I worked for her. The challenge glare. Okay. You have sixty seconds to talk.

I stand still, gaping at him and then at her girlfriend, not sure how to deal with this situation. I...need to talk in private.

Now you have me curious. What kind of private thing that can not be spoken in front of me? asks the woman, looking amused, contrasting the frown on Ms. Manobans face.