Chapter Twenty Six

Its six in the morning but Lisa and I are already sitting at Hoyeons breakfast table, waiting for Ella to wake up. After our midnight talk, we hopped in her car, drove around, and had some more talk. Well, it was more bantering about what we could do or we couldnt do as parents. I have to say Im impressed because Lisas knowledge about parenting has been improving. At least, now she knows that children talk back when theyre given instruction, unlike those people at work.

I cant believe that you two havent gotten any sleep. Hoyeon shakes her head as she places two mugs of coffee in front of us, which we greedily devour the second she lets go of the handles. She is eyeing us with concern. Dont you two need to nap before driving back? I dont think its safe for Ella.

Mama? Ella croaks as she emerges from the kitchen door and immediately throws herself at me.

Good morning, sunshine. How did you sleep? I ask as I wrap my arms around her small figure, burying my face in the crook of her neck under her jaw. Inhaling her scent mixed with her night sweats is the best part of my morning routine.

Good, she replies but her eyes are fixed on the man next to me.

Morning, Lisa greets.

Morning, Ella mumbles on my chest. Is Lisa your Shrek, Mama?

Lisa raises one eyebrow. Am I supposed to be Shrek?

Ellas eyes trail down to her torso. You can, but thats not Shreks vest.

Oh. And which one is Shrek again?

Uh, oh. Wrong question, I say, smirking at her.

Right after the words leave my mouth, Ella jumps off my lap, grabs Lisas hand, and pulls hee to the living room. Come, Ill show you.

Have fun! I shout at the two as they disappear into the hallway.

Hoyeon giggles before turning herself to me, slightly leaning in. So, what happened at the party? I thought she had a date! How did you two end up spending the night together?

We didnt spend the night together, I reply, mimicking her low voice, at least not like what you have in mind.

Why not?

Because shes Ellas dad!

And? It looks like you two are getting along together.

I narrow my eyes on her. Shes Ellas dad, Hoyeon, I repeat myself with more pressure in my tone.

Okay, fine! Hoyeon raises her hands. But I want to hear what happened.

Ill tell you the whole story later.

Cant wait! she says giddily and stands up straight. Now, she says in her usual piercing high-pitched voice, pancake or omelet?

Pancake, please, I reply as I lay my head on the table. Apparently, the coffee fails to do its job this time because the clanking and clinking sound of cooking utensils is now turning into a lullaby, making me struggle to keep awake.

Not long after, I hear Ellas faint voice complaining about her dad snoring while the Shrek movie is still playing, followed by Hoyeon mumbling something to her. The next thing I know, Ellas hand is on my hair.

Go to my room, Jen.

***

Lisa cant stay after she drops us home because there is a situation at work that requires his immediate attention. This is also something Ella has to get used to. Unlike her mama who is always home on weekends, her dad is another species on earth since her working hours are infinite.

After her departure,Ella runs to her room and says she wants to take a nap. But when I walk past her door fifteen minutes later, I hear soft sobs coming from her room. I stop short and press my ear against her door, and Ellas sniffle is unmistakably clear.