Chapter 3; Second chances

*ALEXIS' P.O.V*

I heard a deep chuckle.

"You haven't changed a bit." Harry snickered.

All of a sudden I felt light headed. I decided to walk over to the couch and sit on the edge of it.

"Answer my question, Harry." I hissed.

"Well... You see I did a little investigating..." He slowly started to explain.

"I don't have all day," I whisper-shouted.

"The point is, you don't need to know how I got your number." He snapped at me.

"Then why did you get my number." I snapped back, losing my patience. There was a long moment of silence, until Harry spoke up.

"I want to meet my child." He hesitated.

Oh now he wants to meet our child?

"Are you serious!?" I yelled, losing my cool.

I stood up with tears threatening to fall any second now.

"Why the hell would you think I'm not serious?" He said, raising his voice.

"Hmmm let me see... Oh I don't know. MAYBE BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE FOR HIM SINCE THE BEGINNING LIKE I HAVE! I BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HE WAS A BOY! HE NEEDED A FATHER HARRY... I NEEDED HELP RAISING HIM, OR SO I THOUGHT. BUT YOU LEFT. THAT WAS YOUR DECISION. NOW YOU CAN'T JUST WALTZ IN HERE AND ACT LIKE EVERYTHING IS ALL FINE AND DANDY. YOU MESSED UP AND NOW YOU'RE PAYING FOR IT." I screamed, at the top of my lungs. My throat started to ache so I stopped yelling and drew in multiple shaky breaths.

The line fell silent and it became really awkward.

I dabbed at the tears that had fallen down my cheeks with my over-sized sweater sleeve.

"Mommy?" I heard a little voice call out from behind me.

I looked back and saw Preston standing at the bottom of the stairs, clutching his worn out teddy bear close to his chest.

Oh shit! I didn't even realize how loud I was being.

"Is that him?" Harry's voice cracked when he pronounced the 's'. It sounded like he'd been crying.

"I-I'll call you back," I hesitated just as I hung up.

I scurried over to Preston but he quickly stepped back, tripping backwards over the step, falling on his bum.

A tear slowly trailed down his chubby cheek as he squeezed the bear into him even more.

"Pressy..." I slowly whispered.

He looked so scared.

"Come here baby, I'm sorry for yelling." I apologized but he didn't budge. I Knelt down a ft away from him, giving him some space.

His lower lips curled over in fright. His glistening green eyes were filled with tears. It hurt to see him like this.

"Mommy's so sorry." I whispered. I tucked a loose strand of my long blond hair behind my ear as my tone softened. I extended my arms out, yearning for a hug.

He slowly regained balance and stood up. He began to take tiny steps towards me until he finally reached me. I wrapped my arms lightly around him as he rested his chin on my shoulder, looking behind me.

"Will you forgive mommy?" I whispered into his ear.

I felt him nod, and I was so relieved.

By the time I got him into his bed and sound asleep, it was 11:30 PM and Harry had already called five times.

I quietly went down the stairs and poured myself a glass of water. I took little sips, staring at the kitchen wall.

After about ten minutes I was ready to call back Harry. I sat down on the couch and reached for my phone. I hit redial and the phone only rang twice.

"Lex?" Harry asked, with a hint of worry in his voice.

"Yes." I replied,with no emotion.

"Listen, I know what I did was wrong but you don't know the whole story!" He quickly added as if his life depended on it. I looked down at my feet, trying to remember that day he left.

~*~*~*~FLASHBACK~*~*~*
[About 3 1/2 years ago]

"H-Harry, we've got to talk." I stuttered, walking into the master bedroom.

"Sure thing, love." he cheekily smiled up at me.

I walked over to our bed and sat down on the edge, beside him.

I'm not sure how he's going to react once I tell him I'm pregnant with his child.

I looked into his glistening, green eyes I've learnt to love. His smile quickly faded once he sensed something was wrong.

"What's wrong Lex?" He asked, concerned. He started to trace circles into my back. He always did that to calm me down.

I didn't know how else to tell him so I hesitantly grabbed his hand and brought it down to the little baby bump that was starting to form.

His eyes grew wider and his mouth gaped open. He sat in that position for who knows how long.

"H-Harry?" I whispered.

He didn't budge.

"Harry please say something." I begged. I started to become frightened.

He quickly snapped back to reality as a frown spread across his face. He angrily stomped up and pulled out a suitcase from our closet.

"Harry!" I panicked, "what are you doing?!"

He just ignored me and packed all of his clothes into the suitcase and walked into our bathroom and came back out with his tooth brush and paste.

My mouth hung open as he flew open our bedroom door and glanced back to me with tears in his eyes.

"I need some time to think." Was all he said. He slammed the door behind him.

~That was the last time I saw him

~*~*~*END OF FLASHBACK*~*~*~

"Lex? Are you there?" Harry's deep voice questioned.

"Mhm" I mumbled, shaking my head, attempting to forget about the memory of Harry leaving me.

"Will you promise to listen to my side of the story?" He asked.

"I guess." I sighed

"You know that day when I said I needed some time to think? I thought.... Trust me Lex. I thought long and hard. I loved how you were always there for me during the XFactor, and I really wanted to be there for you! But I ended up telling Simon about you being pregnant with my baby and he told me that the best thing to do was to leave you and let you raise the kid by yourself. He told me that if I wanted to be famous it was the only way."

"So you chose fame over me?" I sniffled.

"Lex, listen. I was young and stupid. These last couple of months I've never been able to get you off my mind! I really want another chance. And if you don't love me like you did before, can I at least be there for my-I mean, our child?" He asked.

Suddenly I remembered the xFactor days. He left me before he even named the band (One Direction). For heavens sake I didn't even know they made It past the xFactor! I thought that they would have gotten eliminated. But apparently not.

"I-I guess so" I mumbled.

I could hear a huge sigh of relief through the line.

"Ill try and make it up to you, Lex. I'll do it for....... For........."

"Preston." I contently finished his sentence.

"Yes, Preston." Harry gushed, sounding relieved.

-------------------------------

a/n;

(Continue reading ----->)