Why

It was so odd. Two voices melting into one. It felt strange, but almost familiar. But given the shock your mind felt, you stuck with strange. "Fused? What do you mean FUSED?" you exclaimed. All this gem magic stuff continued to get more complicated and fascinating day by day.

"Oh right, see gems can basically fuse together into one. It used to be used to aid in battle but then the war ended, and gems began to fuse for well..."

"Well...?"

"Well for love!" Steven explained, Garnet in mind. She for sure knew more about the reasoning than he did. He figured you were about to flood the conversation with more questions than he could answer. He could tell you were getting more anxious.

"This is cool, but crazy. How do we separate from this? Is it permanent?" you asked.

Steven could already feel your energies contrasting, the light between you two separating before finding himself sprawled out on the sand, in his own body. "Pretty much like that." he chuckled, immediately going to your side. "Are you alright, love?"

You found yourself back in your own skin, looking down at your own hands again. "Yeah, I think so." you exhaled, looking up at your boyfriend. "Can we go home?" you asked, still feeling a bit off. After all, human fusion was typically abnormal. You just wanted to cuddle up and watch a movie.

"Of course." Steven said, bubbling the paraphernalia of your picnic. "Come here," he spoke softly, his arms out wide to fly you back to his house. You happily hopped up and held on as the both of you began to ascend into the air, the stars twinkling all around you. You stayed awake this time, watching the scenery around you.

As you landed, you held onto Steven's shoulder, walking into the main room. On the couch was Garnet, sitting with a sly grin.

"So, how did it go?" she asked, walking to the two of you.

"It was fun! I'm not too sure I'm feeling the best right now though." you said, looking up at Steven who immediately understood and led you to his bedroom. You crashed onto the soft bed and curled up into a blanket, turning the TV on.

"Comfy?" he asked with a smile, ruffling your hair. You nodded, returning his grin. "Great. I'll be right back love." he added, planting a small kiss on your forehead before walking downstairs, Garnet still in the same spot.

"You knew, didn't you?"

"Of course. How was it?" she asked him, sitting back on the sofa, gesturing for him to join. He plopped down next to her, galaxies of admiration lingering in his eyes as he reminisced.

"It was...beautiful. I've never been happier in my life." he smiled, leaning back into the cushion. "I wish it could have lasted longer."

"Longer?"

"Yeah. She jumped the gun early. She might have been too scared, I don't know. I always thought if you found the right person like you two did, it was something that would last a lot longer. But it was a minute at most."

He contemplated for a moment.

"Did I do something wrong, Garnet?"

"Steven of course not. If she was scared, she was just scared. It may not have been the right time."

"Oh." he sighed.

"Just trust the process. Love can be, complicated." she said, leaving his side and going to her room.

Steven sat alone on the couch. Alone with his thoughts. The thought of him messing up wouldn't leave him. What if he was right? Did you not love him? And now you didn't feel well because of what he wanted. He shook his head as his eyebrows pressed against each other. Standing up, he walked to the bathroom, turning on the faucet and splashing some water on his face. He grabbed a towel and began to dry himself off. But as he looked back into the mirror, he couldn't see himself. All he could see was a monster. A pink, selfish monster. A sight he didn't want to see again.

He immediately rubbed his eyes and looked back, his sight becoming normal again. He felt his face all over. No bumps, nothing wrong. Was it just his imagination? Probably. He threw the towel into the hamper, leaving and going up to his room quietly.

You were fast asleep when he entered, the TV off. He slid into bed next to you and you instantly slid next to him. He placed an arm around you holding you close as his eyes were still wide open trying to convince himself that nothing was wrong.

Boy was he wrong.

He fell asleep that night as a small, darker patch of magenta began to develop on the nape of his neck, corrupting his skin. Steven needed to get his act together fast, or the monster he was making himself out to be would slowly come back again. It was as if he learned nothing from the last time this happened.

(A/N)
HI!!!! I'm so sorry this is so short!! The way I'm trying to go is hard to navigate around, so the next few uploaded chapters may be a bit shorter in length. I'm so happy to have uploaded again for you guys! I know a lot of you have missed this story! I love you all and hope you're doing well! Stay safe <3
Until next chapter...
~ xfandomxgirlx <3