Comfort

You were lost in thought all the way home. How in the world did your homework fall out of your bag, and why was there a phone number attached to it. Who's number was it? Come to think of it, how did your homework get into your purse? You took your PURSE to the Big Donut, not your backpack. A suspicious frown began to form on your face as you continued to think of how this happened. That frown unfortunately stayed on your face as you walked in the front door to Ryan cooking dinner in the kitchen.  He, of course, noticed your frown and immediately left dinner cooking as he came to console you. 

"Everything all right, sport?" Ryan asked you with worried eyes. He thought the rip to the Big Donut would have helped your mood, considering how happy you seemed to go. But, alas. He know that worried stare all too well. Something was bothering you, and he didn't know what. His anxiety was beginning to increase again. 

"I-I don't know," you said, shoving the note from your homework in your pocket. You couldn't let Ryan know about that. If it was a boy, you weren't sure how he was going to react. His mood swings were unpredictable, and you didn't want to get tangled up in one again. Not after last time.

Ryan saw you glancing at your calculus homework and noticed what the problem might be. "Is it the homework? Calculus can be hard. Do you need me to help you with it?" Ryan asked, concerned for you. He knows you rarely struggle with math, but when you had in the past, it felt like a nightmare. Little did he know, you actually really were good with calculus, you were just worried about that pink note in your pocket. 

"Actually it's not," you said. "I just had a weird run-in with someone today." You said that as carefully as you could, making sure to leave out the fact that it was a guy.

"Really? What happened?" Ryan asked, his smile starting form. He loves a good story, even if it was just you venting about all the jerks at school. He straddled the counter top and hopped into his recliner, legs crossed. You plopped down onto the couch beside him and threw off your shoes.

"Ok so I got slammed into my locker again by those same idiots," you began. Ryan scowled when you mentioned them. "Then after the guys left, I was getting up when I felt another person come up behind me." You slightly smiled after saying that, thinking back on the moment you saw Steven. "You are NEVER going to guess who it was!"

Ryan looked intrigued, sitting literally on the edge of his seat, practically bouncing at this point. "Who? Tell meeee!!!" He squealed. You thought, considering how optimistic Ryan seemed about the whole situation to tell him exactly who it was. 

"Remember the guy who saved Beach City last year? Steven Universe? Well-" you tried to explain before Ryan jumped out his seat. 

"No way! That's insane! I didn't even know you went to school with him! Didn't you tell me you thought he was cute a few times?" You blushed when he said that. You were shocked at how well Ryan was taking the news. You thought he'd freak out over this. You still remained cautious with the information you were telling him. You decided not to tell him about the phone number. Even though he seemed calm now, anything could trigger his anxiety, so it seemed like the best decision. 

You sat through dinner the most awkward way you ever had. You wanted so badly to tell Ryan about the note, to finally get it out of your system, but you didn't have the heart to do it. It was too risky, and you didn't want to put either of you in another rough situation. You never wanted to relive the last time Ryan went berserk.

......................

Later on that evening, you sat in your room, staring blankly at the pink note left on the calculus homework you never ended up checking. Honestly, how could you check your homework at a time like this? You couldn't stop thinking about who the number was for, and how you ended up even finding it in the first place. The thought of calling it kept crawling back into your mind, even though you continued to push it out. Then you began to consider it. I mean the least you could do was thank the person who returned it, right? It was the only polite thing to do.