Average

You sighed as you trudged your way to your locker. School was stupid again. You were getting tired of putting up with the same old thing every day. Even though you were bullied a lot, they didn't even change. It was the same insult every time. "You're not special," or "You're not worth it." Even though your older brother, Ryan, always tries to encourage you, you can't help but give in, because you know what they're saying is true. You aren't this special girl that stands out among the crowd, you're just average. At least, that's what you thought.

As you stood at your locker, packing your things, one of your usual bullies smacked you against the metal box, knocking you into it, then onto the floor. You heard a chuckle from them as they walked off. Suddenly you felt another person approach.

"I'm sick of you guys, okay! Just leave me the heck alone and find a new, average girl to pick on!" You yelled as you slammed the door. You turned around, ready to leave, but then you realized the person you were yelling at.

He looked nothing like the jocks that constantly picked on you. He was shorter, with a stockier build. He had a mop of dark curls on his head and dark brown eyes. He was wearing a pink jacket, jeans, and coral sandals. His shirt was black, and upon closer inspection, you saw a gold star on the front of it. You realized who he was. This boy was the savior of Beach City, the Steven Universe! You felt so ashamed. Your face went bright red. "I-I-I'm s-sorry," you barely managed to stutter out. "I-I have to go!" You sped off down the hallway, leaving Steven there in shock.

Steven didn't know how to feel. He was just about to ask you your name when you suddenly snapped. Something about you intrigued him. You filled him with a sense of mystery, which, to his surprise, he liked. He was about to chase after you when he saw a piece of paper on the floor by your locker door. He picked it up and read it. He saw your name at the top, written in the most beautiful handwriting he'd ever seen. "(Y/n),..." Steven muttered to himself. He liked the way your name sounded. It was pretty. He realized he was staring at your calculus homework.

Perfect... Steven thought to himself. He could use this as a chance to talk to you again! He made a mental note of your locker number and began to walk home. He was going to meet you at your locker tomorrow morning and return your homework. He slipped the page in his backpack and walked towards the Big Donut for his afternoon snack.

You, on the other hand, were a nervous wreck. You ran home as fast as you could, praying to all might that Ryan wasn't home yet. He was more than your brother, he was pretty much your dad, and he always knew when something was up. You really didn't feel like explaining any of what had just happened to you to him. You peeked into the driveway and saw that his car wasn't home. Sweet! you thought to yourself as you walked in the front door. You threw your bag down on the floor, took off your shoes, and flopped down on the couch, ready to have a good cry, when you heard Ryan's car pull into the driveway. You pulled a pillow over your face and groaned, awaiting the conversation your brother was about to initiate.

"Hey (y/n)! Have a better day today?" He cheerfully asked as he walked in the door with a bag of food from the local donut shop.

"Mmph..." you mumbled.

"Guessing not," Ryan said with a frown. "I got some donuts from that place down the road if you think that'll cheer you up." He suggested, handing you a donut. Even though you've lived in Beach City your whole life, you'd never actually been to the donut place. You shoved the pastry in your mouth and immediately shot up off the couch.

"Oh my goodness! That was the most amazingly delicious thing I have ever tasted!" You said, astonished at how quickly your mood had changed. "What is the name of that place?" You asked your, now smiling, brother as you put your shoes back on and grabbed your purse.