🖤 : How Steve and Liza first met

"So I've been wondering something

     "So I've been wondering something." Eddie spoke, eyeing Steve and Liza as they sat across from him and Robin. They were on lounge chairs by the Harrington pool, the group had kicked Dustin to the Wheeler's for the night so they could hang out without the younger teen to worry about. So far the night had been spent drinking and getting high, which led to their postions. Liza and Steve cuddled up on one chair while he and Robin were on their own. "Did you two meet, like, for the first time because of the Upside Down?"

  "No, we met for the first time in eighth grade." Steve answered quickly. Liza eyes widened as she raised her head from his shoulder to look up at him. He didn't even notice as he continued talking. "Which is weird considering its a small town, but anyways. . ."

~x~

   "Son of a bitch!" Liza exclaimed as her books were knocked out of her hands and clattered to the ground, glaring at Tommy H as he and Carol laughed. "Up yours, Hagan!" The blonde raised her middle finger in the direction of the freckled boy. Sighing the blonde crouched down to gather her books. A second pair of hands came into her view, picking up her note book and held it out to her.

   "Sorry about Tommy, he can kinda be a bit of a dick when he want's to be." A boy with floppy brown hair smiled at Liza, she grimaced as she took the notebook from him, their hands brushing against the others. The boy watched as she situated her books in her arms. "I'm Steve, Steve-"

  "Harrington, yeah I know." Liza snorted, standing up. "I'm Liza Henderson." The blonde watched as Steve spoke her name, it was like he was testing her name on his tongue. He leaned against the locker beside hers, a grin on his face as he looked her over.

  "Well, it's a pretty name for a pretty gi-" 

  "Harrington!" Tommy called, jogging up to Steve and Liza. He eyed the blonde with disgust then looked back to his friend. "C'mon, you stand around this freak any longer and people will start to think you guys are friends."

  Liza raised her brows, looking over at Steve to find him gnawing on his lip as he looked between Liza and Tommy. It was like she could see the gears turning in his head, she wasn't sure why she was even sticking around long enough to see what he would say.

  Liza knew who Steve Harrington was, he was a rich boy who's parents barely paid attention to and he hung around assholes like Tommy H. Maybe it was because she wanted to see if he would become like Tommy or if he would have some form of decency and kindness.

   Steve's lips curled back and his warm brown eyes turned cold as he felt the pressuring stare from Tommy. Liza Henderson was a freak, an outcast, not someone you would want to hangout with if you wanted to be popular and god, did Steve want to be popular. So he did what he saw his father do when he touched or interacted with someone deemed below him, Steve wiped the hand that had touched Liza earlier on his jeans, took a step back and sneered.

  "Ahh, I see. . . just another douchebag." Liza chuckled dryly. Steve felt a pang of hurt bloom in his chest but he hid it as best he could. Letting his cocky demeanor strengthen as he placed his hands on his hips. 

  "Yeah, well we'd rather be douche's than some kind of freaky loser!" Tommy scoffed. Liza hummed, taking a step back from the two boys as she nodded. Self preservation wasn't something Liza prided herself on but she could see that if she didn't get out of this situation soon, she would be subject to worse than just a few mean words.

  "And I would rather be a freak then someone who is going to peak in highschool." Liza glared at Tommy, her eyes flickering over slightly to Steve. "Thanks for the help, Harrington, have fun being another cliche." Liza walked down the hall to her next class, leaving Steve to watch her before being dragged away by Tommy.

~x~

  "I kinda wish I had told Tommy to shove it." Steve sighed, taking a swig from his beer. Liza, Eddie and Robin all shared wide eyed looks. "Maybe instead of hanging with him and Carol and my failed relationship with Nance. . .I would have been with Liza for longer that a year. . .could have been years."

  "Jesus H Christ, dude." Eddie huffed, flopping back on the chair. 

 "What?" Steve furrowed his brows. The Metal head nodded his head towards the blonde beside Steve. He looked down to see Liza staring at him, her lips slightly parted as her eyes shined. "What?"

  "I didn't realize you actually remembered that." Liza stated. A small smile spread on Steve's lips as he tucked a piece of hair behind Liza's ear. Robin and Eddie looked at each other before rolling their eyes.

  "Of course I remembered, Darlin'. It's hard not to remember the day I met you." Steve said, placing a quick kiss to Liza's lips. "I actually made sure that Tommy didn't pick on you after that, if we saw you in the hallway I would try and distract him."

  "So you've always been a dingus for Liza. Like, before you even realized." Robin leaned forward, clutching at her bottle of hard cider. She loved learning more about her friends, loved seeing them happy and in love. 

  "Yeah, I guess so." Steve shrugged, a dopey smile on his face. "But I gotta admit, I wouldn't actually change anything because it lead me here. To me and Liza, to this little misfit family. Hell, I actually find myself enjoying Munson now." He downed the last of his beer and that's when it clicked in Liza's brain why he was revealing all this.

  "Okay, I think it's time for you to go to bed." Liza chuckled, pulling the empty can out of his hand and tossed it to Eddie who put it in the garbage bag beside him. "You are getting sappy, which means you have reached the point of no return."

  Steve pouted but let Liza pull him up, wobbling slightly as he stood. Liza slung one of his arms over her shoulders, steadying him as best as she could. Steve smiled down at her, resting his head on to hers. Liza looked over to Eddie and Robin.

  "You two staying up or are you going to bed as well?"

  "We are following you." Eddie spoke, helping Robin up to her feet when she held her hand out to him. "Buckley has had enough as well and if we aren't all in the same bed I think she will kill us." Robin beamed at his words then pranced inside of the house.

  "Cuddle puddle it is." Liza chuckled. Eddie grinned at her as he came up on the other side of Steve, repeating the same action Liza had done before so he could help her take Steve into the house. "Thanks."

  "For you? Anything. Him too, I guess." Eddie eyed Steve, a sigh leaving his lips when he saw that the boy was falling asleep standing up. "C'mon big boy, it's bed time and Buckleys already there."

  "She's probably taken over the bed." Steve grumbled.

  "Then she gets to be squished between you two tonight. Gives me a break." Liza smirked.

  "Nope, it's gonna be you." Steve rolled his eyes, the world had started to spin a bit. "I'll make her move. Plus, Robin isn't as comfortable to cuddle like you or Munson." Liza and Eddie leaned around Steve to give each other smiles. 

  "I'm comfortable to cuddle, eh Harrington?" Eddie asked.

  "Sometimes."