Chapter 45

TW: mention of rape

A few days later, Embry was still at Emily's, learning to control his new abilities, he would sometimes still phase when startled, so Sam and Renata decided it was best to make him stay home. Renata had managed to get Carlisle to send the school a fake medical excuse for his absence to be explained, Paul and Jared had been very patient with Embry, training him and helping him control the shifting.

"Be safe, we'll be back later" Renata told Embry as she, Paul and Jared went out of the house. Embry waved at them from the inside as they got into Paul's truck.

Renata beat Jared to the copilot seat so she got to ride in the front. Paul laughed at them and got behind the wheel. It was a relatively short way to school, but they talked all the way there, mostly about Embry and the progress he had made in the last days. As they parked, Renata saw Jacob and Quil standing in the school entrance, they were waiting for Embry. Renata got out of the truck and went to them. She kissed Quil's cheek before being pulled back by Jacob, who grabbed her arm and kissed her.

"What's with the roughness?" Renata asked, rubbing her arm.

"I thought you liked it rough" Jacob joked half heartedly.

"Woah, too much information" Quil said before covering his ears and walking inside.

"Yes, Jacob, too much information. I don't think your friends would want to know about our private life" Renata scolded him. Jacob smirked and brushed it off.

"I don't think Embry's coming today either" Jacob said looking once more at the parking lot as the last bell rang.

"No, he's not" Renata said instinctively.

"How are you so sure?" Jacob held her at arms length and looked at her seriously.

"Uh..." she had to come up with something quickly, "he's sick in bed" she lied, "Sue went to see him and Leah told me"

"What? Is he okay?" Jacob asked worriedly.

"Yeah, it's mononucleosis, I'm sure he'll get better soon, so don't worry" Renata told him. He seemed to believe it because he nodded and walked inside.

Inside, Nina and Andrea were waiting for her, along with their friend Neza, a tall boy with dark tan skin and warm eyes, his hair was braided down to his waist. Renata smiled as she saw Nina. Renata had had a crush Nina as soon as she looked at her, but she was not her imprint, shamans could only have reciprocal imprints. Even so, Nina was in an on and off relationship with Andrea, and Renata was Jacob's girlfriend, and she had to respect both relationships, so Renata limited herself to just enjoy her company as much as possible.

"Class starts in two minutes, we better hurry" Neza told Renata, who nodded.

"You should go to class, Jake, you don't want to be late" Renata smiled at her and tried to walk with her friends, but Jacob stopped her by grabbing her forearm, "what is it?" Renata asked, trying to loosen Jacob's grip on her, it was becoming painful.

"You haven't introduced me to your new friend" Jacob raised his eyebrows at her.

"Uhm, okay, Jacob, this is Neza, he goes with me in almost all of my classes, Neza, this is Jacob" Renata awkwardly introduced them.

"I'm her boyfriend" Jacob told the older guy seriously.

"Yeah, I know, man, she talks about you all the time" Neza said worriedly, looking the the death grip Jacob had on Renata's arm, "Hey, man, I think you're hurting her, why don't you just let go off her arm?" He raised his hands in surrender and took a step towards them. Jacob looked down at his own hand, his knuckles were pale because of the strength with which he was grabbing her.