Chapter 2

"So, What happened to Emily?" Renata asked Sam as they finished eating, Renata ended eating three hamburgers and Sam had to go buy two more for himself. Everyone in the cafeteria looked at the pair in disgust.

"I lost control, shifted- she was way too close" Sam told Renata and she put a warm hand on his arm.

"I'm sorry, Sam. I'll try to help in whatever I can" Renata told him and smiled.

"Thanks, Renata" Sam told her truthfully.

"Now, would you come with me for something real quick?" The young girl asked him and he nodded.

They both walked in comfortable silence towards the Psychiatric Wing of the hospital. Sam was curious on why they were here but stayed quiet. Renata stopped walking in front of a door with a plate with the name "Dr. Grayson Stokes, Psychiatrist" in it. She knocked on the door and waited until someone opened the door. It was a man around forty years old with blonde hair and inviting green eyes.

"Hey, are you Renata?" The doctor asked and she nodded, "your uncle told me you were coming, he is a good friend of mine" 

"Yeah, not that I had a choice" Renata muttered under her breath but Sam heard.

"You know, it's good that you are willing to move on, getting stuck in the hole you are in won't get you anywhere but deeper until you can't get out" the doctor said, looking through his archives. Renata grit her teeth and felt her eyes start to water.

She hated that her mother made her come. She hated using the meds, it made her feel disconnected from reality. She doubted those drugs helped her, if only, they made her feel worse. She had researched and those drugs were not for depression, they were inhibitors. According to the APA, depression treatments were supposed to give your brain the chemicals it's supposed to be by itself, she had low levels of serotonin and dopamine.

"Can you just give me the drugs so I can leave?" Renata asked and the doctor nodded, giving her the medicines and made her sign the receipt. Renata muttered a thanks and dragged Sam outside again.

Once outside the Psychiatric Wing, Renata entered the bathroom and dropped the contents of the the tubes into the toilet and flushed. Outside the bathroom, she ripped the label that had her name off and shoved it in her pocket, throwing the tube into the trash can.

"Renata, don't you need those?" Sam asked her.

"Nope" Renata said, "that shit me está matando faster que mi depression"

"I understood like half of what you said but I understood that you have depression, you need to take them"

"No, Sam. You don't understand, my mother prefers having me away from reality rather than coping with the fact that her only daughter wants to kill herself!" Renata yelled, not caring about all the stares she was getting. She hadn't noticed she was crying.

"Sam" they heard a voice call. Sam and Renata turned towards the voice, Renata quickly dried her tears.

"Jared, how is she?" Sam asked frantically.

"She's asking for you" the guy, Jared, said.

"Renata, you said you could help" Sam said and she nodded.

"But not here, it will rise suspicions. We have to wait until we are somewhere private" Renata told him and he nodded, "Go" she said after she saw that Sam was practically jumping in his place. Sam left almost running towards the rooms.

"Hey, I'm Jared" the guy told Renata.

"Renata, nice to meet you" they shook hands.

"They told me you stopped Sam from doing something stupid" Jared mentioned as they made their way into the cafeteria.

"Yeah, I mean, those poor nurses were about to pass out from trying to hold him back, so I decided to help" Renata said as she asked for chocolate milk and Jared for four hamburgers.

"You're not going to eat?" He asked.

"No, thanks. I just ate three hamburgers with Sam" Renata said and he laughed.

"Who would say such a small girl could eat so much" Jared teased and they both laughed.

They talked as Jared ate and laughed about simple things. Renata suddenly felt as if she was with her brother, Daniel. Jared was as easygoing as Daniel had been, Sam reminded her of her older brother, Claudio, always looking out for his siblings. She didn't feel alone, she felt as if she was with her family again. Even if she didn't have René and Rodrigo with her, she felt alive for the first time in two months.

Ding!
From: Unknown
Hey Renata, your father gave me your number. At what time do you arrive?

To: Unknown
My plane landed about four hours ago. Still waiting, y'know?

"Hey, Jared, I have to go, tell Sam to call me whenever, ok? Give me your phone so I can text you" she said and dialled her phone number in Jared's phone as he saved his in her phone.

"I'll walk you to your car" Jared said.

"I don't have a car. I'll just run" Renata said carelessly as she took her luggage from the receptionist.

"Run?"

"I'm faster than I look" Renata said and hugged Jared goodbye, "call me when Emily is out so I can go check on her, Okay?"

"Yes, be careful, Ren" Jared told her.

"Always am" Renata said before she took running at an inhuman speed, not as fast as a vampire but almost faster than a shapeshifter. Jared was impressed.

Renata arrived to the house she would call home for the rest of her high school life and knocked but no one answered so she turned the doorknob and found the door open. She entered the house, it was empty. They must have frantically gone for her to the airport. Renata rolled her eyes and dropped herself in the couch, turning on the TV and checked they had Netflix DVD's, they had Corpse Bride, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Zathura and some other movies. She decided for Corpse Bride and played it as she waited for the family to arrive.

Renata guessed she fell asleep while watching the movie because she woke up to car engines speeding in the driveway. The movie was halfway through. She paused it and went for a glass of water.

"Someone's here" she heard a voice say.

Renata walked out of the kitchen and felt as someone neared her quickly in a menacing way. She ducked, making the person trip and fall. Someone else ran towards her, she did a pirouette, moving away from the person, in the last second before being tackled to the floor.

"For a coven of vampires, you are slow" Renata said as she sat down in the couch again and played the movie again.

"Renata, always a pleasure to see you" a soft and sweet voice said happily.

"Nice to see you too, Esme, hello Uncle Carlisle" Renata said, looking at the couple that was standing by the door and smiling at them.