Chapter 9

"Where do you want to go?" Jacob asked Renata.

"Remember I'm new here, you choose" Renata told him as they arrived to the parking lot, "just wait a sec" Renata took out her phone and dialled a text.

To: Paul, Jared, Sam
I'm going out with Jake, see you back at Emily's.
Xoxo
-R

Not just a minute later, Ding! Ding! Ding! Her phone received three messages.

From: Sam
Be careful, see you at home.

From: Paul
So reckless. Jacob has not shifted, we cannot associate with guys that have not shifted! I'm going to literally lock you in your room when you come back!

From: Jared
Have fun! And bring me something to eat!

Renata shook her head, laughing at the three types of texts she received from the guys. She rolled her eyes at Paul, he needed a stress ball.

"Ready?" Jacob asked her, with his helmet on and one in his hand, offering it to Renata.

"Yeah" She said, putting on the helmet and climbing behind Jacob.

Renata hugged Jacob by the waist, resting her face against his back. She closed her eyes and just enjoyed the feeling of not feeling constantly worried about anything. It was a new feeling after months of worrying about her family, friends and the pack.

"We're here" Renata heard Jacob say.

They got down and saw a beautiful field of white and lilac flowers. Renata took off the helmet and smiled widely. She took Jacob's hand and dragged him with her. She ran to the centre of the field and looked up at the cloudy sky, a storm was coming. If she was with the Cullen's, she would tell them that they should go play baseball.

"It's beautiful here" Renata told Jacob.

"It is, I'm glad the flowers are still alive, in a month or so, this field will be bare. I wanted you to see it" Jacob told her.

"Thanks, Jake" Renata said, aspiring the fresh air.

"Come here" Jake said. Renata turned to look at him but he was not there, "down here" Renata looked down, seeing Jacob laying in the ground.

Renata smiled at him but frowned. Jacob then extended his hand at her, she took it but didn't expect Jacob to pull her down. Renata fell on top of Jacob, knocking the air out of him.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, Jake" Renata quickly exclaimed, getting off Jacob and kneeling next to him.

"It's okay, I'm strong" Jacob said and Renata laughed. She laid down next to him, Jacob's hair was sprawled all around him while hers was messily arranged, with soft natural curls in it.

"What color is your hair naturally?" Jacob asked her, taking a strand between his fingers.

"Dark chestnut" Renata told him, looking at the strand of hair Jacob was holding.

"Why did you dye it?" Jacob asked her.

"My hair was once long, down to my waist, actually. Two weeks before my seventeenth birthday, my twin brothers and I got matching haircuts, it was hilarious to see people's faces after we cut our hair. The day of our birthday, my town was attacked and many lost their lives, three of them were my brothers, my eldest brother, Daniel... and the twins, René and Rodrigo..." Renata's voice broke down at this point, everything came back to her as if she had just lived it.

"Were you close to them?" Jacob asked, trying not to push too much.

"I loved Daniel, he was like a second father after mine left... but René, Rodrigo and I... we were triplets" Renata had tears and tears flowing from her eyes. "I dyed my hair after they died, every time I looked at the mirror, I saw them. I'm trying to grow it now, so I'm not reminded of them every time I try to look at myself in the mirror."

"I'm so-"

"Don't say it, Jacob, I don't want you to be sorry" Renata told him and dried her tears, then looking at him, "Do you have any siblings?"

"Yeah, I've got two sisters, they are out of town, in college and almost never come visit. It's like they want to forget where they come from" Jacob told her, looking at the sky.

"Well, in my opinion, it's their loss. The Quilete culture is so rich and anyone would be lucky to be part of it" Renata said, looking too at the sky.

They spent some time in that position, looking at the sky and just enjoying each other's company. Renata had one of her hands in her stomach and the other next to her, touching the grass, enjoying the feeling nature's energy. Jacob looked at Renata, who was peacefully looking at the sky, with a stray tear falling from her eye. He saw her hand laying there, between them, and subtly moved his hand to be next to hers and then linked their pinky fingers, she made no facial expression and no sign of recognition but still curled her pinky finger around his. Little by little, he intertwined all of his fingers with hers, she only responded by curling her fingers around his.

It was something different for both of them. For so long, Jacob had been so obsessed with Bella for so long and now Renata looked at him the way he always wanted Bella to. Renata didn't know what she felt, she knew that she felt something for Jacob, but she felt guilty. Renata felt guilty of being able to feel something when her brothers were not even alive. When Jacob took her hand, she was unsure of what to feel but it was nice to feel some sincere human affection. She knew that the Cullens cared for her but feeling actual warmth from someone else's body.

"You are pretty amazing, Jacob" Renata told him out of the blue.

"Thanks, you are pretty amazing yourself" Jacob told her, turning his head to look at her, she was already looking at him.

Their peace was interrupted by a phone ringing. Renata took checked her phone to see Paul's number in the screen, to which she rolled her eyes and decided to ignore him.

"Aren't you going to get that?" Jacob asked.

"Nah, it's just Paul, he treats me like a baby, as if I couldn't take care of myself" Renata told him, waving her hand in front of her face.

"Well, to be fair, you did sprain your ankle while walking", Jacob told her smiling.

"It was one time" She told Jacob, she turned in the ground and was resting in her stomach. She put her head on Jacob's chest and looked at him, "You have a really nice chin and jaw" Renata said, putting her index finger in his jawline.

"Thanks? I believe you have beautiful golden eyes" Jacob told her.

"Golden?" Renata panicked for a second, had she been using her powers all along without noticing?

"Yeah, the sunlight makes them look like liquid gold"

"Thanks" Renata said and her phone started ringing again, "sorry, Jake, he might go mad if I don't get this" Renata told him and stood up, getting her phone from her pocket again, "What do you want, Paul?" She asked to her phone.

"Where are you?" Paul's voice asked through the device.

"In none of your business, how about that?" Renata told him sarcastically.

"Stop being difficult, Renata. Your brother is here, and he doesn't look happy" Paul told her

"Come again? My brother?" Renata asked surprised. What would her brother be doing here?

"You better come quick"