Chapter 3 - The Duty of a Lady

In the forest near Oakville

Dressed in her Victorian black and scarlet lady of Lapland dress, with a fur cape over it to protect herself from the winter cold, her wedding ring on her finger and her ruby pendant around her neck, Emily walked with a slow and quiet step among the sleeping trees, on the ground covered with snow and dead leaves. Her mobile phone in her hand, she was in the middle of a discussion with her friend Mathias, who was at home on the other side of the ocean, in France. Both were of course aware of the meeting that had taken place at the White House and what had come out of it.

_"And so, how is the situation in Canada? Is it the same?" asked Mathias, whose head appeared in the small screen of the video.

_"It could have been better, I admit." Emily sighed without smiling. "The tensions between the monsters and the humans have grown so much that new laws have been declared. No more contact between both is allowed until further notice, under penalty of being arrested, you know the genre. And being the wife of the lord of the monsters and therefore considered as one of them, this means that I no longer have the right to approach my parents and the house, and also that I no longer even have the right to go to my place work, unless I have special permission, which they will surely not grant me under the circumstances."

_"Oh shit..." replied Mathias, sincerely sorry for her and seeing her very bitter about the situation. "People get really stupid over what they don't understand, it's crazy."

_ "I wouldn't say otherwise." Emily smiled. "And for you, in France, how is it going?"

_"Well, apart from finding graffiti calling me a dirty monster almost every day on my car, and also a few death threats in my mailbox, it's fine." said Mathias ironically. "But they don't dare come and talk to me face to face, probably for fear that I'll burn the whole neighborhood with the snap of a finger."

_"I am sorry." said Emily with frankness for her friend who lived as badly this situation as her since he too was known to be in a relationship with a monster.

_ "Don't be." Mathias answered. "Anyway, I sold my house and I'm leaving tonight for Transylvania, to join Hella at her new home. And since I can't take international flights without risking being spotted, Ian was cool and send an SRDO plane to take me to destination."

Emily smiled at this news, happy to see that despite the troubles, Mathias had found a way to join the one he loves.

_ "In that case, I hope we can see each other again, and in better circumstances." Emily said with a smile.

_ "Same for me." replied Mathias also with a smile. "I miss you all. By the way, how is our dear Lady of Lapland? Are we going to hear soon that you and Mr. Lordi are going to be parents?"

At these non-maliciously but gently mocking questions, Emily blushed softly and ordered Mathias to be quiet, which made them both laugh.

_ "Honestly, from a genetic point of view, I don't think a human and a monster can have a child together." she confessed. "But whatever, it has never been in our desires and it will not prevent us from loving ourselves as we are now."

Mathias nodded to this answer.

_ "As long as you love each other, that's the main thing." he said. "And the monster clans? Have they finally accepted you as their ruler?"

_"Most of them." Emily explained while walking and getting closer to the monster village. "Elves, dwarves and vampires support me now. But others, like goblins, werewolves or harpies, can't accept a human woman reigning alongside the Monsterman. It seems that certain ancestral traditions are not completely dead. I am doing my best to fulfill my new role, and Mr. Lordi fears that these differences could cause a civil war between the clans, which would be a disaster."