Chapter 9 - The Messenger of the Ancient Ones

All over the world, the tragedy that occurred in Oakville was broadcast by all possible media, and already, an unprecedented wave of murderous madness was beginning to spread in all countries, especially places where populations were the densest. Legions of Great Ancient Ones's fanatics, The Children of the Trinity, had revealed themselves everywhere, launching assaults and spreading the chaotic message of their masters.

In Oakville, the local forces of the SRDO had their hands full, supported by the forces of the army, in order to fight not only the hordes of fanatics, but also civilians, of all ages, who, increasingly numerous, seemed to totally lose their minds and side with the fanatics and attack people who were still sane. Moreover, in Toronto, the situation had just taken a similar turn, as in most other capitals of the world, where already, the apocalypse had also just started. In cities like Paris, London or Moscow, or in most of the cities of United States, the armed forces had to try to master the hordes of people who had become uncontrollable, and sometimes even had to fight against their own brothers in arms who had lost their minds.

From the ruins of their home, Emily's parents witnessed the start of the clash. Mr. Lordi acted first, slamming his ax onto the ground, causing a violent shockwave that swept through an entire group of enemies. Emily protected herself with her shield against a fanatic's crossbow shot, and retaliated by summoning a slicing blast of energy from her sword, which decapitated two men at once. Awa telekinetically lifted an overturned car and hurled it at three enemies who were brutally crushed. Ox roared and charged, leaping into the air after grabbing a fanatic by the throat, and slammed him hard into the ground. Mana sent his swarm of carnivorous flies, which enveloped two fanatics, then entered through their mouths, nostrils, and ears to devour them completely from the inside. Kita blocked a blade from an enemy, and retaliated with a masterful and quick slash in the chest of the opponent who collapsed in an explosion of blood from his chest. Another fanatic was about to attack Kita from behind, but G-Stealer leapt like a cat, pinning the enemy to the ground and biting his head off.

With dark gaze and bright red eyes, Mr. Lordi advanced fearlessly with his axe, decapitating and slashing several enemies in a row, these human fanatics not standing a chance against him. Emily, as she finished finishing off an enemy by piercing his chest with her sword, could see the man's mask fall off and reveal his face, frozen in death in an evil smile that made her shudder, but he also made one thing clear.

_"They want to die... They came here for that." she breathed.

The slaughter ended quickly, as the fanatical humans didn't stand a chance against the monsters. But like Emily, the others noticed the happy faces of the dead men on the ground.

_"They really wanted to be killed? Damn, what twisted logic." Ox growled.

_"This is proof of the power of the poison of fanaticism." Mana answered.

But as the group gathered, small, slow sounds of applause drew their attention in one direction. From the smoke and ash in the middle of the street, a large solitary form appeared, advancing with a sure step. Humanoid, he looked like a tall human, ten feet tall, with slightly pointed ears, skin as pale as death, and perfectly inhuman eyes. Dressed in a long closed black coat, long shaggy black hair styled in a ponytail behind his head, he showed a very confident smile on his pale lips. A medallion hung around his neck, in the shape of some sort of anarchic Egyptian symbol, and had a sort of worn grimoire on his belt.

_"Bravo. What a funny sight. You gave these insects the death they so wanted. What a proof of mercy. I would almost be touched." the humanoid commented cynically.

No one in the group expressed it in words, but everyone felt it very well. The aura that emanated from this stranger was overwhelmingly powerful, to the point of making the souls in the body tremble. Although she was protected by her angelic power and could now gaze upon chaos entities without risking madness, Emily felt ill, overwhelmed by this power. Mr. Lordi, though being the mightiest of them all, felt his blood and soul tremble, which disconcerted him. Awa, Ox, Mana, Kita and G-Stealer also struggled not to waver against this aura that constantly assailed them. Standing about twenty yards away from them, the tall humanoid stood motionless, erect, one hand behind his back, and smiling at the sight of those bewildered lesser creatures staring at him.