Chapter 20 - The First of the Ancient Ones

Director of Genesis...Ian would never have considered such a situation he had to admit, but with Jekyll dead, the organization had to have a new leader to lead them, as they and the SRDO were perhaps the only armies of humanity still able to do something to save the planet. The armies of the countries were mostly completely routed in the face of the chaos that was spreading like a virus. The armies of fanatical cultists multiplied, and so did the abominations that accompanied them.

Sitting behind Jekyll's desk that was now his, Ian was watching the latest news on the computer screen, and if the planetary situation was already dire, it was getting even worse: Much of the West Coast of the United States had been wiped out, Australia, Japan, China and much of Africa had been plunged into civil war, and contact had been lost with many of the capitals of Europe. The current number of deaths was not even verifiable any more as it had to be large. Many presidents and other heads of state had been able to flee to high security shelters, abandoning to their fate the populations that they had nevertheless governed. Cowardly behavior, thought Ian, he who had never really had politicians in his heart.

Tired of reading all the bad but real news, Ian plopped down in the leather chair and sighed heavily, massaging his eyelids. He was exhausted, both physically and nervously. He was constantly thinking of his wife and daughter, whom he had been unable to hear from since the beginning of the crisis. He prayed with all his heart that they were safe somewhere. His loving and protective instinct as a husband drove him to seek them out, but his duty as a soldier also compelled him to stay. All these men, these soldiers, needed him to guide him in the fight, for the survival of this world, he had no right to abandon them like this. But how could he help them? The SRDO and Genesis were struggling hardly to maintain balance in the growing refugee camps and the hate growing between humans and monsters. Ian felt totally overwhelmed by events. He felt like he was useless and that made him even angrier inside. Cursed be these Great Ancient Ones and their cycle. It was all their fault!

While he was deep in thought, a knock was heard and Sigma entered the office.

_"Are you all right, boss?" she asked seeing him like this. "Do you want me to come later?"

_"No, no, it's fine..." Ian breathed, beckoning her to approach, which she did, coming to sit on the chair in front of the desk.

_"I was thinking about Jill and Rose." Ian confessed thoughtfully.

_"I'm sure they're fine." Sigma replied supportively. "Jill is a fighter, like you, and little Rose, well... If she inherited the strength of both her parents, she will be unstoppable later... By the way, how old is she now?"

_"It was his birthday three days ago." replied Ian with a sad smile on his lips. "Six years already... She's growing up so fast... It's above all for her that I'm fighting, to be able to offer her a future, a better world than this."

Sigma smiled upon hearing that. Ian was a really good person and she felt lucky to have him as team leader.

Ian then looked at his teammate.

_"And you, Sigma? Ever wanted to get married, have children and all that?" he asked.

Sigma blushed at this question, having imagined for a moment marrying her girlfriend Enary.

_"I had a boyfriend when I was a teenager, it's true, but life as a couple and starting a family have never been in my priorities." she replied.

_"Really? And with Enary, then?" Ian asked with a smirk but not a mean one.

_"Well... how can I say... I love her yes, and I wouldn't mind living with her. Although for children, I doubt that a monster and a human are compatible. Anyway , she doesn't seem interested in an ordinary family life either... Can you stop looking at me with that smile, Commander, it's embarrassing."