Chapter 19 - Faith and Redemption

In the human world, the attacks of the cultists of the Children of the Trinity all over the planet as well as the fall of the meteorite in Canada had caused real worldwide chaos. Most of the world's major capitals had become disaster areas, where fear and conflict reigned. The death toll was in the millions now and that number was only growing. The populations had fled the cities to take refuge in the countryside or had been set up in temporary camps supervised by the military forces, including the SRDO and Genesis. But with the terror came the madness and anger, hordes of humans made possessed with revenge and convinced that the monsters were responsible had set out to attack the colonies of monsters to obtain justice according to them.

It was to one of these refugee camps that Emily's parents had been taken by one of the SRDO relief convoys. Having been assigned a tent to stay in, the couple now walked down one of the aisles, seeing all around them the multitude of people who, like them, had been forced to flee danger. Men, women and children of all ages were gathered. Armed soldiers patrolled the camp to ensure security and also to ensure that the refugees remained calm.

Food rations were given to each family, but the portions were reduced due to shortages caused by the general chaos that plagued the world. Some babies cried, hinting at their hunger, and their mothers made sure they could at least eat a little first. Hunger, however, made people sharp and angry, and frequent fights between people broke out over food, and soldiers had to intervene to stop the fighting. Emily's mother and father didn't interfere in this and after getting their ration went to sit on a secluded bench.

_"I hope Emily is okay...I'm so worried about her." Emily's mother said as she tried to eat a little.

_"I know, I understand you..." her husband replied with support. "But our daughter is strong and with such friends by her side, she fears nothing. She will save us, as she has done before."

_"Excuse me... are you Emily's parents?"

This shy, adolescent, feminine voice caught their attention and they noticed this young girl with long, dark hair, dressed warmly and moving around with the help of a wheelchair and holding her ration of food on her knees. They didn't know her, but they showed no suspicion of her and accepted her coming close to them.

_"My name is Sarah." said the girl. "Emily is a friend, as well as the monsters of Lapland. They have saved me many times."

_"Sarah, what are you doing here alone? Where are your parents?" Emily's mother asked.

Sarah's face grew melancholy.

_"My mother died giving birth to me, as for my father... he perished the day the meteorite fell near Oakville."

_"Oh no...I'm sorry, I didn't know..." Emily's mother said, blaming herself for bringing up this topic.

Sarah didn't blame them and smiled to reassure them of that fact. But as she was about to eat her ration of food, an adult hand slapped hers sharply, causing the bag to fall to the ground. Startled, Emily and Sarah's parents then saw an unknown man, an elderly civilian in his thirties, who was looking at the young girl with a look full of anger.

_"I heard right, huh? You say you're friends with those freaking monsters!" he said.

The man had spoken so loudly that everyone around heard him, all eyes on them. Sensing trouble coming Sarah began to back up with her wheelchair, then was supported by Emily's mother who joined her to protect her as her husband stood up and tried to talk with the angry stranger.

_"Listen sir, she's only a child, so please calm down..."

Emily's father tried to ease the tension but couldn't finish his sentence, the man shoving him back violently and pulling a penknife from his pocket and looking at Sarah with a face contorted in hatred.