Chapter 17 - A Very Last Hope?

The loss of their director and founder Jekyll had dealt a terrible blow to the Genesis organization and deprived the world of a great man who still believed in hope between humans and monsters. The doctor's body was taken to the base's infirmary where he was laid on one of the beds, under a white sheet and would later be put in the morgue, while the clean-up crews who survived the attack had to wait. to restore the morgue.

But despite the heavy losses in the ranks of Genesis during the battle, the destruction of the Rach-Naa entity had lifted everyone's spirits and restored an ounce of hope: The Great Ancient Ones and their kind could still be fought and defeated.

Across the base, the surviving members of Genesis were working at high speed to make an inventory of all the resources and armaments that were still in working order, while the medical teams took care of the wounded, very many. In the infirmary, G-Stealer, following his fit of madness because of his initiator chip still present in his skull, had been brought to the infirmary and firmly strapped to a bed to prevent him from trying to attack the others if a new crisis were to break out. Kita had stayed with his brother despite the danger, not wanting to leave him alone and feeling a little guilty for not having known sooner.

After a very delicate surgery operated by the best doctors of the Genesis base who had fortunately survived, the inhibitor chip was able to be removed from G-Stealer's skull and then destroyed in the hands of Kita. After that, G-Stealer was finally able to wake up in a bed in the infirmary, and groaned softly as he sat up and saw Kita at his bedside who seemed reassured to see him waking up.

_"Easy my brother, said Kita. You have to regain some strength."

_"K...Kita...What happened? I...it's a blur in my head..."

Kita seemed hesitant to tell him but didn't want to lie to him.

_"Don't worry. Your inhibitor chip has been removed. You're free now." Kita explained.

_"My... Oh no, I did it again didn't I?" G-Stealer replied, rubbing his hand regretfully over his face. "Tell me, did I...?"

_"No. No one is hurt, don't worry." Kita immediately reassured him.

G-Stealer heaved a sigh of relief at this but didn't completely lose his sense of guilt. Kita guessed it without needing to observe but supported her brother with a firm pat on the shoulder. The automatic bedroom door opened and Awa entered.

_"Ah, I'm glad to see you're feeling better, Stealer." she said sincerely. "Kita told us what happened and I want you to know that no one in the Brotherhood blames you."

_"Thank you... Nevertheless, I should have let you know about this chip. I'll do everything to make up for it." G-Stealer replied with a nod.

_"Did you want something Awa?" Kita then asked.

_"Indeed." she said. "Mr. Lordi sends me to fetch you. All members of the Brotherhood must meet in Jekyll's office now."

_"But Stealer can't..."

Kita was immediately interrupted by his brother's hand firmly resting on his shoulder as he pulled the blanket off and got up from the bed.

_"I'm fine, little brother. You know me... I'm a warrior and I won't be on the sidelines today."

Kita shook her head in spite but knew he couldn't change her brother's mind. Awa looked at them both with a smile, reassured to see that this incident had not created a barrier between them.

***********

Meanwhile, in the base's empty mess hall, Mathias and Emily sat at one of the tables, side by side, glasses of hot, steaming drinks in front of them to reinvigorate themselves after a grueling outdoor fight on the ice. Mathias had been able to tell his friend what had happened in hell and Emily was now holding Mathias's hand in order to better see the demonic ring and satanic engravings on it that he now wore around the finger.