Chapter 16 - Scarctic Battle part 2

In the bowels of the Genesis Arctic Base, the battle was beginning to turn to the disadvantage of the human forces and their monster allies. the main hangar had been completely overwhelmed by the degenerate abominations, with most of the Genesis soldiers present having been killed by them. Magnum and Kalma, along with the surviving human soldiers, had managed to form barricades with the supply crates in one of the adjoining storage rooms and were resisting as best they could the inexorable advance of the waves of creatures trying to break through their defenses. One of the Genesis soldiers was grabbed in the arm by one of the creatures. Kalma tried to hold him back but failed and saw the man being swept away in the cloud of misshapen things that devoured him in an explosion of blood and cries of pain. Equipped with one of his futuristic weapons of his own creation and backed by the surviving soldiers, Magnum endlessly showered the creatures in a hail of destructive fire in hopes of knocking them back as far as possible, but each abomination destroyed let two more pass.

The situation was not much better in the other sectors of the base. Enary, Sigma, Gamma, Omega, and Doctor Henry Jekyll, despite fierce resistance, had been forced to fall back and barricade themselves in Jekyll's office. But despite their thickness and strength, the office's metal doors weren't going to hold out for long against the force and number of abominations that lay behind and let their blows and brutality be heard, the metal bending and twisting more and more under their incessant assaults. Gamma and Omega had taken up positions behind shelves, weapons in hand and ready to open fire. Jekyll meanwhile, was oddly calm despite the situation and headed to his office to look for something.

Her armor and her sword covered in the revolting blood of the creatures she had slain, Enary had to sit up for a moment to catch her breath and winced in pain as she looked down at the slightly bleeding wound in one of her shoulders. Sigma, also scarred by the fighting, came up to her and wanted to examine her girlfriend's injured shoulder.

_"I'm fine. It's just a scratch." grumbled Enary.

Knowing the proud and sullen character that made the valkyrie's charm despite everything, Sigma smiled and gently shook her head.

_"I know, but let me see if I can ease the wound a little." answered the young woman soldier.

Enary still smiled at Sigma, thanking her for the gesture and nodded, letting her do it. Sigma tore a piece of fabric from her tunic and used it to make a temporary bandage on Enary's shoulder, who meanwhile looked towards the office doors which were beginning to be dangerously damaged by the blows of the enemies.

_"I don't think we're going to make it out alive this time." confessed Enary darkly, pessimistic as usual.

_"You are scared?" Sigma asked then, not in judgment but out of curiosity.

_"Tsss, of course not." replied Enary. "I've already died as a human and as a valkyrie, dying in battle is the highest honor that can be granted to me... What about you? Are you scared?"

_"At the risk of surprising you, not really..." confessed Sigma finishing the bandage then looked the vaklkyrie in the eyes. "I come from a long line of soldiers and I was initiated into combat from my youth. I knew death very early with the disappearance of my mother when I was a child...As a member of an elite unit, I was taught not to fear death, but to accept it as an undeniable reality as part of our duty as soldier... No, Enary... It's been a long time since I stopped being afraid of death, and if my destiny is to die by your side, then I will accept it without hesitation."

With these words, Sigma approached his lips and placed a short and tender kiss on those of Enary, who said nothing and was marked by what his girlfriend had just said with such sincerity and strength. Sigma spoke like a real valkyrie, and that made Enary proud inside.