Chapter 23 - The Cosmic Overlord

More than half of the worlds and dimensions of the known universe had already succumbed to the insatiable appetite of the ancient cosmic entities, rapidly approaching the end of this universe which would thus come to generate another, tirelessly continuing this cycle of creation and destruction. And it is on this little world lost among the stars called Earth that the final outcome would be played out. Many of the world's great cities had been taken into the clutches of cosmic forces. The humans residing there, men, women and children, then found themselves influenced and possessed, thus swelling the ranks of the cultists. Large ritual ceremonies were already taking place in the four corners of the world, sordid rituals where dozens of completely indoctrinated faithful were sacrificed to the glory of their new gods. Thanks to these thousands of deaths around the world, the cultists of the Great Ancient Ones, under the orders of the Great Messenger of the Gods, Morgott, accumulated considerable energy to create immense portals in the sky, with the aim of awakening and bring in the father of all the Ancients, the very origin of the cycle. However, it would take time to fully create his immense portals and Morgott could sense that a troublesome obstacle would stand against him: this brotherhood of monsters and their human allies, however pathetic they were for wanting to resist him, he would not take any chances which could jeopardize his plan. However, he had an idea in mind to remedy this little problem.

For this, Morgott went immediately, through a portal created by his own powers, to a desolate place, lost in the middle of the immensity of the cosmos and not far from the very center of the universe. Around Morgott was a landscape of death and silence, surrounded by devastated and desert planets and where even the stars had perished. All around, great storms of cosmic energy swirled slowly, forming a gigantic and impenetrable cage. Morgott paid no further attention and walked over rocky, ashy ground, over the remains of what had once been a small moon. As he walked calmly and silently, the rocks gradually gave way to structures and ruins with shapes inconceivable to any rational brain. Arriving in the remains of what could be a sort of temple, Morgott faced an imposing obsidian throne, on which sat a dark, motionless figure like a statue.

The thing would be three meters tall if it stood upright. Humanoid, a gaunt body with graying, stony-looking skin, covered in a large, tattered scarlet cape and hood. Clawed and bony hands. The entire skeleton of his body had emerged to fuse with his flesh and form a sort of armor. His head, like the rest of his body, was necrotic, with an elongated, almost humanoid skull and a beard of filthy tentacles.

Morgott walked forward and knelt respectfully, head bowed, before this sleeping creature seated on this great throne.

_"O mighty Cthoroth, first born of our creator, you Cosmic Overlord, conqueror and devourer of worlds, your miserable servant appears before you." proclaimed Morgott fanatically.

The monster called Cthoroth then opened three monstrous and bottomless eyes, of a glowing and unhealthy purple color. Making the sound of his emaciated body creak, he slowly rose from the throne, raising the ash and dust that covered him as if he had been asleep for a very long time. Advancing with heavy steps, the first son of the first of the Great Ancient Ones approached Morgott who remained on his knees and with his head bowed, as if he were not worthy to contemplate the majesty of his lord.

_"Well, Morgott." Cthoroth spoke in a crushing, inhuman voice. "I see that you have not failed in your task. However, the assimilation of this miserable world called Earth is taking longer than expected. Can you explain the reason for this delay in the cycle?"

_"Yes, o mighty lord." humbly replied the messenger of the gods. "There have been some unforeseen events and I regret to report that Lords Ycnarr'Orveh and Raal'Amlagash have been...defeated."

At these words, Cthoroth expressed nothing, not even an ounce of anger, confusion, or surprise. Remaining silent at first, the entity then emitted a very light and dark sigh.