Chapter 22 - Last Calm, Last Storm

Following their encounter with the three Prime Monsters, Mr. Lordi, Emily, Mathias and Hella had returned to the Ether, to the Shrine of the Dweller Priestesses, in order to take a short rest there before leaving for what would surely be the toughest fight of their entire lives. As she had said, Naaririel had returned to the celestial dimension in order to find her brother Archangel Michael there and try to gather as many surviving angels for the battle.

Within the temple, rooms had been prepared for the attention of the guests, in a remote area of the temple so that they could be quiet. But Mathias had no mind to want to rest. Sitting on the large fur-covered bed, the young man remained silent, pensive, gloomy and devoured by anxiety to know that his country was the target of the cosmic abominations. His good friend Emily stood in the doorway of the bedroom outside, seeing Mathias through the doorway and feeling sorry for him, knowing full well that feeling of seeing your country devastated by dark and supernatural forces. Telling herself that Mathias wanted to stay a little alone to reflect and gather his wits, Emily didn't want to disturb him and walked away quietly. But at the turn of the corridor lit by torches hanging on the walls, she met Hella who was coming from the opposite direction.

_"Ah Emily... Mr. Lordi is waiting for you in your room." said the Scarbie.

_"Thank you, Hella...I...I'm going now." answered the young woman.

Hella immediately noticed in Emily's voice that something was wrong, and she guessed what it was.

_"It's Mathias, isn't it?"

_"Yes..." Emily whispered. "I'm worried about him. I wish I could bring him some comfort, but...given the circumstances, I don't know if that would be enough."

_"It's okay, go see Mr. Lordi and rest. I'm going to go see Mathias and talk to him." Hella suggested with a friendly pat on the shoulder of Emily, who smiled at her friend and took her advice and continued down the corridor.

Hella then walked to the bedroom and entered. Mathias heard him but didn't turn around, remaining lost in thought. Hella came and sat next to him on the bed, both of them lit by the shifting glow of the nearby candle. Wanting to try to make him smile a little, Hella gave Mathias a light, friendly nudge to the shoulder to make him react, which he did and looked at her.

_"Did you eat a little at least?" she asked, concerned.

_"Hmm... I tried." replied the young man. "I can't stop thinking about my country, all these people who are suffering and dying right now...I feel like I'm totally helpless, I can't do anything, that I'm going to see my native land burn. I now know what Emily must have felt when the demons attacked her country."

Hella listened to him and sympathized with this feeling of doubt and distress that was devouring him from the inside. She also felt it sometimes and tried not to pay attention to it. Anyone who finds themselves having to face a power as great as that of the Great Ancient Ones would be overcome with uncertainty, even fear.

_"You know, Mathias..." Hella whispered as she moved closer to him, her shoulder touching his and their hands touching. "I too am afraid. We all are. But fear is part of every sentient being and is not inherently evil. Only a madman would face such danger without showing fear. But despite this, there is also another equally natural thing that I have chosen to express."

_"Which?" asked Mathias, confused.

Hella's hand took hers gently and their eyes met.

_"Hope." Hella answered with conviction. "I choose to believe that we still have a chance to give this universe a future. But I know that I could not do it alone. I would need all my allies and friends, and above all... I'll need you by my side, need the man I gave my heart to."