Chapter 12 - Hell Heirs

On the plains of blood in hell, Mathias and Hella had taken a few moments to regain their strength after this quick but nevertheless violent confrontation against this entity of the Ancient Ones called the Watcher. Sitting next to each other on the rocky, ashy ground, the couple had checked each other for serious injuries and luckily they did. However, the frustration was on both of their faces. The hunchbacked little demon, Gurash, was bouncing around, sneering in his mischievous voice.

_ "Damn, that was beyond amazing! You managed to beat the Watcher!"

_"Beat? Let's say he managed to slip through our fingers." Hella corrected less enthusiastically.

Mathias shared his lover's opinion.

_"In any case I hope that these damn priests of hell will be satisfied, otherwise I will make them regret." added Mathias, huffing, tired but above all angry to have had to risk his life and especially that of Hella to help these demons.

If it had been up to him, he would have gladly let these creatures and their infernal dimension be swept away, but Hella had been right in saying that the entire hell under the control of the Great Ancient Ones would have been a total disaster. Despite the disappointment visible on the couple, the hunchbacked demon Gurash remained ecstatic. He approached them then under their perplexed gazes bowed down, his face in the ashes.

_"But what are you doing?" asked Mathias, raising an eyebrow.

_ "I renounce my servitude to the priests of hell and desire to swear allegiance to you for eternity as your servant." announced Gurash with a most motivated conviction.

Mathias and Hella, even more confused, exchanged a look.

_ "Wait a minute... do you want to serve us? But you're a demon." Hella asked to make sure she heard correctly.

_"Yes." Gurash affirmed, his bulging eyes shining with determination. "My people never accepted me. I had the misfortune to be born deformed, too weak... My mother was punished and executed by order of the Demon King, for daring to give birth to a demon as miserable as I am, and he condemned me to an eternity of slavery and mistreatment at the hands of the infernal priests... I know well all that my race has done to yours, but I ask you to appeal to your mercy and give me the chance to finally be able to serve worthy beings and finally find a purpose for my existence."

Mathias and Hella had listened and despite their strong contempt for demons, had been touched by Gurash's story and surprisingly felt sorry for him. In a way he was like Mathias, having been victimized by his own people for years, and like Hella he was born and destined to suffer at the hands of tyrants in waiting to be rescued. As a demon he could have been lying, but they could tell in the depth of his voice that he was more than sincere and judging by the countless marks on his skin, vestiges of abuse inflicted, they believed him. Gurash then remained silent, still bowed and face down, as if waiting for an answer from them. Mathias and Hella hesitated at first, looking at each other but finally came to the same agreement. It was Hella who got up and came to raise the head of the deformed little demon.

_ "In that case, get up Gurash, and join us." said the scarbie, extending her hand to him.

The little demon's face cleared and he stood up, not finding the words to thank them. Behind Hella, Mathias smirked, also accepting this decision.

_"Well, what if we left this fucking place forever?" Mathias suggested.

_ "Oh yeah..." Hella whispered. "But frankly, I don't see us walking back to the temple. I'm too tired to walk, but an idea occurs to me."

With a mischievous smile, she indicated to Mathias to come closer and whispered her idea in his ear. In turn, Mathias smiled and nodded in approval.

_"Hell yeah, I love it... Let's go." he said.