Resurfacing.

Marlene wanted to sit up in bed, but she couldn't quite manage. Every time she pressed her arms down on the mattress to prop herself up, her midsection screamed and she had to give up. She hated that. She pushed back the covers and saw she was wearing a white cotton top and dark jogger bottoms, and someone had changed her clothes. But she didn't blame them, there had been so much blood. Marlene tried again to sit up but winced.

"Here, let me help." Someone said from the doorway, it took Marlene by surprise and she sucked in a breath but it surprised her, even more, when she saw Riven.

"Hey." She said and he moved from the door to her bedside, taking her arm and taking some of her weight as she swung her legs over the bed, successfully sitting up. He sat beside her.

"How are you feeling?" His voice was gentle, as if he were to speak too loud she might shatter.

"Shit." She tried to joke and he laughed, she chuckled too but a shock of pain echoed down her stomach causing her to wince.

"Easy- answer seriously this time... How are you feeling?" He asked again and she tilted her head to the side to look at him, then back down at her hands.

"Angry," She paused, wondering how she must sound, "it almost killed Sky and Bloom." She told him and he looked to where she wrung her hands on her lap.

"They-" he began and put two fingers on her chin, tilting her head back to look at him again, "they should be terrified of you." She couldn't help but smile at him and elbowed his side.

"Where are the others?" Her voice was small, he noticed she was changing the subject as if she didn't want to talk about the Burned ones at all. 

He thought back to what Sky and Stella had said, If she wants to tell you, she will but you cannot go asking questions about things you're not supposed to know about. He shrugged it off.

"They went to class, I told them I'd look after you until they were back this afternoon." He explained.

"Don't you have training?"

"Yes but there is no way in hell Silva would let Sky miss a training session, especially after the Burned one got so close to the barrier," he noticed her shift uncomfortably, "I, however, will not be missed." She nodded.

"Why are you here Riven?" She suddenly blurted and he shifted a little.

"What? I heard my friend was severely injured and single-handedly killed the burned one that hurt her and I can't visit her?" He said, smirking as he noticed a flush on her cheeks suddenly.

"A friendship? Is that what this is now?" She teased and he chuckled, she had said something similar to him last night.

"Shut it Sparky." He told her and she rolled her eyes. "Come on, you need to lie back down and rest." He instructed her and got up from the bed, Riven moved to stand in front of her, looking down at her.

"I hate being told what to do." She muttered.

"Do I get points if I act as if I care?" He told her, "You need rest, so rest- I promise you, you won't miss anything. It's all been pretty boring around here since you got hurt in the first place." Riven said that last part more to himself but she smiled anyway.

"Did you miss me?" She teased and he shook his head.

"Fuck no Sparky, you are so full of yourself." Riven held up his hands as if in defense.

She managed to laugh without hurting herself this time, "Then tell me Riv, if I'm so full of myself..." She cleared her throat. "Why are you here again?" She teased.

"Because fuck you that's why!" He half yelled and she giggled harder, a sharp twist in her stomach cutting it short. He stopped laughing when he noticed the edge to her features telling him she was in pain. He was by her side again in a second.

"What can I do to help?" His words were so soft she almost missed them, she held out her hand and he took her arm. He notices her wince as he helps her back to lying down.

"Thank you, may you pass me my book."

"Sleep." He said.

"Book." She replied.

"Which one, it's like a fucking library in here, you nerd." He teased, caving, and turned to her extensive shelf.

"Nerd? I prefer the term: more intelligent than you." He didn't reply because his response which sprung to his head would have made her laugh, meaning more pain. And that was the last thing he wanted for her.

He handed her the book she asked for and sat down, looking down to where she was now lying.

"I do have to get to training though or Silva will have my head." Riven didn't want to go, not really but if it meant she would get some rest, then he was willing to leave for her benefit.

"And we can't have that... You're much too pretty for decapitation Riv." She flirted and that made him want to stay even more.

"Be back soon, okay?" He asked and she lowered her book.

"Okay." 

-------------------------

awww- they're so cute, I just love them :)