A Pair.

Stella stirred and opened her eyes briefly, only for a second but it was long enough to spy Marlene's bed empty. She assumed the worst and presumed she had had a nightmare. Stella hurriedly walked down the hallway and down the stairs to the courtyard but what she saw dissolved her worry.

She saw Riven and Marlene wrapped in each other's embrace, resting on each other. Simply being and she remained in the dark, leaving them undisturbed, and took her smile back to the room. Happy to know she was safe and wasn't alone.

"What about you?" She asked, looking up at him, her eyes wide.

"What about me?" He asked softly.

"Do you have any siblings?" She asked, "What's your family like Riven?"

"I'm an only child and I- Well I never really got on with my parents, they..." He struggled to find the words. "I'm not who my parents wanted me to be."

Marlene wasn't sure how long she and Riven had been sitting in the courtyard just holding eat other underneath the stars but she was sure he felt warm and familiar. He felt solid and safe. She wanted to cling to his shirt and bury her face in the curve of his neck and never let go.

Marlene pulled herself back from Riven's arms instead and he looked at her, truly look at her. Her hair was slightly messy and in the soft evening light, she looked more beautiful and more human than he had ever seen her.

He was looking at her like he just realized what love was.

Riven took her by the hand and lead her back to his room in silence, he opened the door for her and shut it when she was inside. Sky was asleep softly but Riven wasn't worried, all he could focus on, think about, was her.

"What is this between us?" She asked, gently taking her hand.

"Nothing," He answered and grabbed her by the back of her neck and kissed her hard. And she kissed him back, knowing he was right.

There was nothing between them-

Nothing between their lips-

Not even air.

They pulled away, breathing heavily but faces plastered with faint smiles.

"You'll be the ruin of me, won't you?" She smiled and he leaned in, kissing her again, pulling away just as fast.

"Yes. Does that scare you?" He smirked and she pressed their faces together again, running her hands through his hair.

"I know all your secrets now, so I think you should know one of mine too." He whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her spine.

"What is it?"

"I love you."

And she loved him too, she told him that. She told him over and over. So much that if he handed her a bloody hand she would have taken it, only because it was his.

He was her warmth and she was his peace and they were together so that was all they needed.