Trying Again.

It had been a couple of weeks, 2 and 3 days, according to Riven. He had seen her around.

In the canteen with Musa and Terra, sat with Stella waiting for Sky to finish training. But she hadn't ever looked at him back. So Riven got on, he went to training, he hung out with Beatrix and Dane, getting high every other night and he didn't tell Sky about what happened.

He didn't know what Sky would say.

And yet, despite all this, he found himself at her door at the 3 week mark, unable to go on like this anymore. Unable to go on knowing she hated him.

He knocked once and it opened seconds later- it was Aisha.

"Can I help you?" She asked, her head peering around the door.

"Is Marlene here?" He asked, his hand slung in his leather jacket pockets.

"Err- no..." Aisha said but opened the door wider, letting Riven in. "I think she's at a session with Dowling but you can wait here if you want. Stella is right through there, I'm going for a swim." And before he could respond, Aisha slipped out the door, and Riven shut it behind her.

"Stell?" Riven called out and Stella stood in the doorway of hers and Marlene's shared room.

"Riven, it's been a while. How are you." She asked and he looked at his shoes, then back at her.

"Yeah- err, do you know when Marlene will be back?" He asked.

"She left a little while ago, I'm not sure." She examined him a little closer, his shoulders were drawn together and his eyes not quite meeting hers. Stella in no way had Musa's power but she could tell he felt guilty or uncomfortable about something.

"What's wrong? What happened?" She asked and Riven sat down, she moved to sit next to him.

"I- I messed up Stell. Marlene and I had an argument and I- I." He stuttered, his words coming out all at once. "I did exactly what you told me not to and now she- well she hates me, Stella."

"She doesn't hate you." Riven looked up at her, out of all the words she could have chosen, those surprised him.

"What?"

"She doesn't hate you- trust me. I know her, and she doesn't hate you. I don't think she ever could." She told him and Riven paused.

"How do you know?"

"You didn't think you'd get this attached did you?" She said chuckled slightly and he clenched his jaw, "She's quite the charmer, our Marlene. But Riven, when she cares about someone, really cares, she doesn't ever stop. That's how I know she would never hate you." Riven's heart sunk in his chest.

"I'm not sure you're right this time Stell." He shook his head, "I was- I was a real dick. I pushed even when she told me to stop. I messed up."

"But she doesn't hate you- I've seen the way she looks at you Riven," He looked from his hands to Stella, "She looks at you like she'd burn down an entire city just to show you the lights." His lips quirked up at the corners at her words.

"Thanks, Stella."

"One question though," She said and he nodded, giving her a small smile.

"What is it?"

"Why her?"

"Why anyone else when she exits?"

-----------------------

awww, that's so sweet