Control.

"I want you to picture the molecules in the air around you. Picture them moving, swaying to your control, making the wind blow and the breeze dance to your command." Dowling told Marlene, both her hands gripping the stone circle. Marlene closed her eyes and pictured the molecules in front of her, above her, beneath her and the wind began to move, to howl.

"Good, good Marlene. Now I want you to picture them moving around you, feel it beneath your feet, feel yourself become lighter." Dowling's voice was even and calm, her words came easy to Marlene when she could hardly hear herself over her humming heartbeat.

She tried to get them to lift her in the air, and Marlene knew Dowling was trying to get her to recreate how she had flown. How the breeze had taken her off the floor but Marlene still felt the solid earth beneath her. She opened her eyes.

"Miss Dowling, you're always saying how power is linked to emotions and I understand that but I think that it was my friends in danger that made me so powerful. It was that threat which triggered my reaction, I can't just recreate that at will yet." Marlene reasoned and Dowling looked down.

"Yes I understand, and that is very reasonable. Possibly in the future, you may be able to recall that power at will and we will work towards that. I assure you Marlene we will help you have more control. You have great power within you, you know. This may take some time." The pair began to walk back to Alfea and Dowling turned to face Marlene.

"I understand, thank you, Headmistress, same time tomorrow?" Marlene asked when they reached the entrance.

"Yes, same time tomorrow." Miss Dowling asked and walked off, Marlene looked over to the Specialist training area where she could see all the teens in their afternoon training sessions.

Marlene had already attended her Monday morning classes and she was rather excited to meet Riven later for training, she had beaten him once and he had won once too. She was ready for a tiebreaker. But she still had hours until she had to meet him so she gripped her bag and took one of the small paths leading a little further into the woods.

She strolled for a little while before she sat beside a tree trunk and fished out her book from the great depth of her school bag.

She found the much-loved paperback and caressed its worm cover. As a child, Marlene often found comfort in the pages of any books she could find. Latching onto the fictional characters she read about as a substitution for her lack of relationships in real life. Because of the horrors, she had to face every day as a child.

She began to read. Letting herself sink beneath the cover and into the story, submerging in the words before her eyes.

Unaware of the eyes of the boy who had followed her into the wood, watching her from afar. Admiring her natural elegance, the way she held herself, her eyes- all of it. All of her.

------------------------

<3<3<3<3