Chapter 1

"In the land of Galasia, there lived King Lavro and the regions around him. To the North East was the smallest part, Aldan. All the way to the West where the plains lay, stood Alkamar. In the very South, where snow hid the Earth's warmth, was Rystyn. To the North was the mountain region of Ultr. Below the mountains was Tith, which was where Prince Andrion resided. No one knows why he lives there alone, but there is a rumor that the Prince hates the King."

"On the Eastern shore lay the Capital Entheria, where King Lavro resided. For the most part, the land was peaceful. However, a dark shadow loomed over the kingdom. Located in the middle of Galasia is a ruined city called Kalzr. It used to be a city of peace and trade; however, it's ruler, Lord Orzox, became consumed by powerful magic. King Lavro, though only a boy at the time, knew this was Druid magic. Anything related to the Druids was forbidden, according to his decree and decades of Kings before him. Willing to negotiate out their differences, King Lavro offered the sorcerer known as Lord Orzox of Kalzr another chance, to give up this dark sorcery. Orzox, unheeding, did just the opposite. He began teaching the magic all throughout Galasia.

Enraged at Orzox's insubordination, the King ordered Kalzr to be burned, the magic to be destroyed, and Orzox to be killed. That year became a massacre of many innocents and in the end what was left of Kalzr became known as the Dark Woods. Many of those who survived went into hiding. However, those who still believed in Lord Orzox's ways formed the organization of assassins rumored to be living in the Dark Wood's-" My brother Akyto went on, mumbling more about Galasia's history.

My mind wasn't on my repetitive studies. I wonder if I would ever visit the city of Kalzr?

Perhaps I could try to convince father again to let me go. The last time I tried asking him, he said it was too dangerous. Maybe next time I could convince him that I was strong enough. "Emilea are you even listening to me? You need to memorize this, you know." Akyto's dark blue eyes squinted my way.

"Yes, of course I was." I lied.

He gave a heavy sigh, tossed his breezy brunette hair away from his face, then continued his lecture. He waved his muscular arms theatrically as he spoke. How did he do it? He was going to be turning twenty six soon which would mean he would become eligible for a wife.

How would he find time for someone else? Akyto spent so much time teaching me, Yestin, the second oldest brother and Dalani, my younger sister, every day. Then again, he always found the effort to train and go about his own activities. Besides doing all of that, he was Father's successor. If you ask me I'd say that Akyto was Father's favorite, because Akyto did all the parenting part for him. Ever since our mother died giving birth to our younger sister Dalani, our father changed. He no longer smiled or laughed. Nor did he spend time with the family, other than an occasional joining for dinner. The only thing he did care about was how hard we worked.

Occasionally Father heard about our training from Akyto and would always say, "Life is not meant to be taken for granted. It can be taken as quickly as it is given. So show your gratitude by working hard." For some reason Akyto always told Father about my struggles which he would look to me and say, "Your mother and I had such high hopes for you. You were our first born girl." Why would that matter to me? Though I was three when our mother died, it did not affect me like the others, who were quite older. For some reason mother never connected with me. The memories I did have of her were short from happy. Sometimes, however, I would dream that we would sit down together and she would brush my short tousled hair, that somehow always got tangled, and then I would tell her that I loved daisies just as much as she did. But that never happened. She would mumble for Akyto to clean me, to bathe me when I was dirty, and to feed me when I was hungry. All I wanted was to be loved the same way my brothers' were. I wanted to have a relationship with her. I wanted to talk to her, not get brushed off to my brothers. If she just gave me the time I would have been able to ask her if she had bright blonde hair like I did when she was young. All of my siblings had dark sleek hair. The color reminded me of carobs, which I would secretly sneak from our kitchen pantry. The bitterness yet chocolaty flavor was my favorite thing. Perhaps I should search for more tonight?